Taking Control

The Dutch embassy had let Hawkeye know they had maybe found Chris's family, they were still figuring things out to be sure and they would let the man know if they were more positive Sidney kept sending them reports over Chris, and they are pleased with the approval words of the man over the doctor. 

Chris seemed to be doing great. Because of this positive lead on Christophers' family, the embassy had asked Sidney to wait with the hypnosis till they were sure. They believed it would be better if his family was present during, if of course this was indeed his family. But the timeline seemed to match.

Hawkeye felt his insides drop while he read that letter, but he quickly pushed the sad empty feeling down. The embassy and the army knew about his plan to adopt the boy, Hawkeye just needed to be patient. He kept telling himself that it all would work out, he didn't know how he would react if this family wanted Chris, and he didn't want to find out.

He called Sidney, and finally got a hold of him about 5 hours later. Hawkeye had asked for all the information Sidney had, after hearing it wasn't more than he already knew. he added.

“But Sidney, What about the adoption, will they prevent it, they didn't say anything in the letter.” He just needed to know.

“Hawkeye it's a good thing you didn't hear anything because they're not even sure it is his family, they are contacting the people now, and then there will be a blood test to be sure.  We can't do anything now but wait. The embassy knows you are the best fit at the moment, and until you hear something else, that is still the case. Sidney said rational

”I will not let go without a fight!“ Hawkeye said a lot less rational than Sidney was.

”I'm gonna be like a bulldog, I am not letting go without a fight. I will throw every lawsuit on them. I'll even kidnap him before I give him over, even if they are perfect.“ sighing tiredly, Hawkeye sat down on the chair near the phone.

”Who I'm I kidding? If they are perfect I wouldn't stand in the way, but I just don't want that!

“You need to calm down, Chris wants to stay with you, so unless they are in fact perfect, he stays with you. I can promise you.” Sidney replied

“Thank you, Sidney, I'm sorry for the, well the whole conversation could have gone a bit more gently on my part, but I was a bit upset. 

That was this morning, and he has felt down ever since. Right now they were working on several casualties in the O.R, so he needed a clear head. But the sad feeling remained, it was the not knowing part that was awful. Preparing for heartbreak while remaining hopeful, seemed impossible. He also had to act normal for Chris's sake, Chris seemed to feel his emotion and he didn't want to confuse the child.

Hawkeye had his hands on a soldier's stomach, feeling around for shrapnel. Asking for an instrument from his nurse he got it in an instant, “Thank you” the doctor said, he looked to his left, and instead of his nurse, he found little Chris pleased with himself. 

“Christopher, no” He tried to be gentle but Chris still looked shocked. His heart broke at the fallen expression of the child. He was immensely proud of Chris for knowing the right scalpel, but a child should not have one in his hands, to begin with.

“I'm not mad, I still love you and I'm glad for your help kiddo! But you got your work to do, remember? Besides, a scalpel is not a toy and I don't want you touching it. Understood?”

Hawkeye told Chris while he got his hands inside a person fixing his stomach. 

He never thought this was something that would happen in his life. He started to tell the boy he loved him a couple of days ago, which was true, he did a lot. He had never been a father or even an uncle himself, and this was a whole new feeling of loving and caring for a junior.