I. ALIVE

I. ALIVE

Dahlia had arrived home a few hours later, completely and utterly exhausted. She saw her sister already sitting at the dining room table, a droopy frown on her face as her back was hunched over her chair.

Dahlia sighed, kicking off her boots as she took the seat besides her sister. She opened the chair gently, brushing her hair out of her face as she leaned down to meet Julie's eyes.

"I assume music class didn't go great?" Dahlia asked, her voice soft and hushed.

"No. I didn't make the cut," Julie explained, her lips pressing into a tight grimace as she sighed heavily, resting her head on Dahlia's shoulder.

There was a brief pause, a moment of silence as Julie swallowed hard before opening her mouth to speak again.

"I froze, Lia. The second my hand touched the piano keys...I just couldn't do it. I ran out of there like a coward and blew my chance. People were laughing...and I just feel so embarrassed. Now Tia and Dad are going to freak out...and,"

Dahlia stayed quiet for a moment as Julie trailed off, her head burrowing further into her shoulder.

The effect music had on Julie was obvious. Almost as if it brought her soul to life, a beaming smile spreading on her face as her eyes lit up with every note.

As much as Dahlia wanted to tell her sister she was right, and that giving up was easier than preserving through the tough waters, she'd be a terrible sister if she simply allowed Julie give up music with no effort to get her into it again. It was rare that many found their true passion so early in life, if they even found it at all, and Dahlia was not going to let her sister's talent slip away.

The brunette bit her tongue and didn't let her words out, knowing she'd sound like a complete hypocrite knowing she gave up songwriting months ago. The oldest Molina struggled to find the right words, stroking Julie's hair soothingly.

"Hey, it's not your fault, you know that, right? If anyone tries to give you shit, they'll have to go through me first." Dahlia replied, hearing Julie chuckle softly as she sighed.

The weight off her chest lifted slightly, knowing she was able to cheer Julie up a bit and get her mind off music. Deep down Dahlia knew that everything would be just fine, and her main was concern was making sure Julie didn't blame herself for what happened.

The silence was broken a moment later, when the two girls heard footsteps making their way downstairs. Dahlia shifted her head slightly, her father's silhouette coming into view.

He smiled softly at the sight of his daughters, before he made his way over to sit with them. A mindless conversation started, one that Dahlia had been zoning in and out of. The older sister failed to notice Julie's anxious expression, waiting for her father to bring up her being cut from the music program.