III. NEW BEGINNINGS

III. NEW BEGINNINGS

Dahlia had been in the kitchen hours later, the curtains already drawn as the moonlight attempted to creep in. Her back hunched over as she sat on a stool near the island, her pen hitting the paper as she tried to finish her math homework. It was rare she could catch her house in its current silent atmosphere to concentrate, so she was trying to make the best out of it.

Julie had gone to Flynn's house to watch a movie and Carlos and her father had gone to a birthday party, leaving Dahlia home alone. The girl had to admit she felt slightly more secure being home alone now that she knew she wasn't really alone—and she had three musician spirits in her garage if she really needed them.

This thought only contributed to Dahlia's lack of focus, her pen mindlessly drumming against the marble as she hummed a tune to herself. She couldn't find it in herself to stop thinking about the ghosts she had met, specifically the one with shaggy brunette hair. She wasn't sure what it was about him that captivated her so much, or perhaps she still found it ironic that she had quite literally fallen into his arms.

Almost as if on cue, Luke poofed into the kitchen, startling Dahlia as she jumped slightly.

"Yeah, it's going to be hard getting used to that," the girl mumbled, much to Luke's amusement as he walked towards the girl, resting his arms against the marble a few feet away from hers.

His face held a flirty grin, his figure moving closer as he leaned over the counter to see what Dahlia was doing.

"...Math homework, really? It's a Friday night, shouldn't you be doing something...I don't know, interesting?" Asked Luke, resulting in a scoff from Dahlia.

"Math homework is interesting." Dahlia replied, lying straight through her teeth as she glanced up at Luke who was looking at her, obviously not believing her.

"Okay, maybe it's not interesting, but it's due on Monday and I need to get it done. So if you could do that ghost thing and poof out, that'd be greatly appreciated."

"Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine?" Luke deadpanned, a sarcastic grin spreading across his face as he huffed. "Hey, come on. I'm bored out of my mind, and I bet you are too." Luke pleaded, and Dahlia sighed.

She looked up at him, seeing his boring puppy dog eyes as he pretended to shake his hands together and beg. Dahlia rolled her eyes, moving her neck to the side as she adjusted her position.

"Fine. I guess I could take a snack break." The girl decided, huffing as she shoved her homework to the side, hopping out of her chair as she made her way to the refrigerator.

"What do teenagers even do for fun in this day and age anyways?" Asked Luke, leaning against the refrigerator door so Dahlia couldn't open it.

Dahlia didn't understand why her hand didn't simply go through Luke's body like Julie's, but instead she could touch the ghosts as if they were really alive.