VIII. STRINGS OF FATE

Dahlia had been in the garage with Luke and Reggie. Reggie had been scribbling something down on a piece of paper, utterly engrossed in whatever he was doing.

Luke sat besides Dahlia on the garage's couch, with the brunette absentmindedly placing her feet against Luke's thighs. The ghost looked over to Dahlia in surprise, but she hadn't noticed her subconscious actions, as she had been scrolling on her phone.

"What's so interesting about that...thing anyway?" Luke asked, a dramatic sigh falling from his lips. He had been flipping through pages in his notebook, folding down a page every few minutes.

When he reached the end of his notebook, he quickly grew bored at the lack of conversation in the room. 

Luke was growing antsy, waiting for Julie's arrival. Dahlia had told Luke that he couldn't practice in the garage unless Julie was home, because she didn't want any suspicions from her father to arise.

This idea has begun when Ray had accidentally captured a picture of the garage with the ghosts, three orbs signaling their presence in the studio.

While it wasn't a huge deal, Dahlia and Julie agreed this was a good rule to put in place for the time being. Dahlia knew Luke was bored, so she turned her attention from her screen to him, shrugging.

"I was texting back a few friends," she explained, not missing Luke's confused expression. She had tried to explain modern technology to him the week prior, but he had grasped the concept of social media and cell phones the least out of all his band members.

"It doesn't matter," she said after a moment, shutting her phone off as she turned towards Luke. "What's up?"

Luke grabbed his notebook from where he had half-heartedly thrown it a few inches away, his arm stretching out to reach the object as he placed it in his lap.

"Wanna show them the songs we worked on later?" The guitarist asked, tilting his head as Dahlia nodded.

"Sure." She agreed, feeling a small pit of exciting pooling in her stomach at the thought of sharing her music with others again.

***

A few minutes later, Julie arrived home from school. She had gone into the garage to water the plants, but Dahlia knew she had an ulterior motive from the cheeky grin that was plastered on her face.

"We're playing a school dance?" Reggie said, examining the poster Julie pulled out excitedly, "sweet!"

Reggie tried to shove the paper into Luke's hand, but the guitarist wasn't nearly as amused. He was fiddling with his rings, an unsure grimace etched upon his face.

"It's not exactly the Strip," he complained, eyebrows furrowed.

Dahlia shot him and ungrateful glare as she quipped, "and you're not exactly alive."