II. STAYING UP

II. STAYING UP

The next morning, Dahlia could hear the faint sounds of birds chirping outside of her window. The Molina girl didn't quite remember falling asleep the night before, though she noticed that for once she felt refreshed upon waking up.

Her body wasn't begging for sleep, and her eyes didn't feel heavy; and Dahlia wanted to bask in this feeling forever.

However, sound of birds chirping outside wasn't the only sound Dahlia's ears picked up on, the faint sound of her alarm ringing reminded her of the fact that she had school, meaning there was no time to bask and relax in her bed.

Dahlia could feel the sheer warmth of her covers shielding her body as the sun came in contact with her rosy cheeks, making getting up all that much harder. With a slight groan of protest, Dahlia willed herself upwards, blinking as she adjusted to the bright light coming into her room.

Dahlia felt optimistic inside, not sure why but certainly taking this feeling as it came. Dahlia couldn't shake the feeling that today was going to be important, and so important that it would impact the rest of her life. Call her dramatic, sure, but she was too excited to really care.

A few minutes later, the Molina girl walked to the bathroom, a skip in her step as she began to get ready for her day. About twenty minutes later Dahlia felt fully awake, a towel wrapped around her body as she walked to her bedroom from the bathroom, fresh out of the shower.

Dahlia walked towards her closet, looking for an outfit that matched her passion for the day ahead. She had a few tests and cheer practice after school, meaning she was going to be exhausted by the time she arrived home.

The Molina girl settled on a bright blue top moments later, matching it with jeans and white shoes. She ran a brush through her hair, leaving it down as she applied some chapstick and declared herself ready for the day.

After checking she had everything she needed for the day, Dahlia slung her backpack over her shoulder, walking down the stairs as she hummed slightly to herself. Out of habit, she made a beeline for the kitchen for some coffee, though before she reached her destination, she stopped in her tracks. Dahlia realized she might have to suffer the consequences of skipping her morning coffee later in the afternoon, though she decided that for once she didn't need it to function.

Dahlia had walked towards the dining room table, grabbing her house keys for later that day, when a familiar voice singing had caught her attention. Dahlia listened further, confirming the voice of her very talented sister, Julie Molina.

The oldest Molina sister raised an eyebrow, stepping out into the front porch to hear the music better, and Dahlia realized a moment later than the sound was coming from her mothers studio. Julie's angelic voice continued to sing, and it hit Dahlia suddenly that she was singing the song she and her mother had written for the younger girl.