V. SECOND CHANCES

V. SECOND CHANCES

"Wait, where'd the rest of the band go?" Asked a boy from the crowd, coming up to stand on the stage.

Julie's eyes began to dart between the students in the crowd, her face paling as she failed to come up with an excuse. Dahlia couldn't even help her, equally as stumped with attempting to find a believable lie.

"Wait, were those holograms?" A voice rang out, one that Dahlia recognized to be a member of Dirty Candy.

The excuse was perfect, and the girl had seemingly opened her mouth to speak again, before she had been shut down with Carrie's evil glare.

Julie's eyes widened, face brightening as a relieved smile grew on her face.

"Uh...yes! Yes, they were holograms," she chuckled awkwardly, trying to buy time to build her lie, "I...plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff."

Dahlia's concern didn't fade as the students began to clap, an innocent and believable enough excuse. The Molina girl hadn't even noticed she had strayed off to an empty spot of the gym during the performance, standing by the front of the stage's steps.

She wasn't alone for long, and mere seconds later the ghosts she had been worried about appeared behind her suddenly. Dahlia jumped in surprise when she saw their beaming smiles, and her friends had been looking at her with confusion from a few feet away.

She decided that maybe it wasn't the best time to talk to the ghosts when she had a group of very judgmental girls a short distance away, so she awkwardly excused herself, pushing her and the boys to the other end of the crowd.

"That's wild. They could see us when we were playing, but not when the music ended."

"We should double check!" Reggie added enthusiastically, no time for before he was rushing to the stairs and swinging his hips around wildly.

Dahlia raised an eyebrow, amusement washing over her as she noticed Luke and Alex's exasperated expression.

When Reggie received no attention, he grumbled as he walked back to his friends.

"Yeah, I don't...I don't think they can see us." Reggie said, and Luke huffed.

"I wish I couldn't see you," Alex sighed, running a hand over his face.

The pure sarcasm that dripped from his tone amused Dahlia, a laugh bubbling out from her lips as she shut her mouth abruptly so it wouldn't seem like she was not only talking to herself, but laughing, too.

Luckily students lost interest in the gym's performance when the bell rang out, piles of teenagers filing out of the space to get to their lockers and next classes in time.

Dahlia began to walk towards Julie, who had hopped off the stage and was making her way to Mrs. Harrison. Alex and Luke followed behind her as Reggie attempted to flirt with the member of Dirty Candy that he had previously winked at while playing.