Chapter 16

"Nah."

"I can't make it."

"What are you trying to say!?"

'Well, that could've gone better.'

After classes and approaching each member of the idiot trio in the form of Ike, Yamauchi, and Sudo, I was met with rejection, with my attempt at recruiting Sudo nearly leading to him choking me with my own tie.

After my failed attempts, I went back to my room in order to gather my thoughts and move on with plan B.

'The question is, do I ask for forgiveness now or later?"

I spent some time contemplating the possible outcomes while I perched on the side of my bed. After considerable consideration, I eventually chose my response, took a moment to breathe, then dialed the front desk from the telephone in my room.

"Excuse me, but can you put me through to Horikita Suzune?"

"Just give me a moment, young man."

The familiar sound of ringing soon greeted me as I waited for Horikita to answer her phone and hedged my bets that she was currently residing in her room. For a few more seconds, the phone kept ringing, and as it did, my hope began to wane. Thankfully, before my hopes were dashed, Horikita finally picked up the other end of the phone.

"What is it, Ayanokouji-kun? Did you successfully convince those simpletons to better themselves and accept my help?"

"Before that, how did you know it was me? Can I also get your contact information? It's rather inconvenient that I have to call you on your room phone whenever I need to contact you."

"I suppose it is rather inconvenient that you don't have my contact information. I trust you, so I'm going to give you my information. Don't make me regret this decision."

"You won't, Horikita-san. Scouts' honor."

After hearing a sigh on the other end of the phone line, Horikita promptly provided me with her contact information, which I quickly typed into my phone.

"So, what was your reason for calling me Ayanokouji-kun? I already have my suspicions, but what is it that you wanted to talk about?"

Well, you've probably already gathered that it's regarding the idiot trio."

"I said as much earlier in the conversation. Can you get on with it? I'd rather you not waste my time. Hmm, perhaps you're just calling me because you wanted to get my contact information for nefarious purposes."

"Rather quick to try and convict me, aren't you? You put your trust in me, and you're already regretting your decision. At least give me a chance. This hardly seems fair."

"I suppose you have a point but I already feel regret in giving you my contact information. Perhaps if you give me some good news, I'll be willing to forgive you and apologize for my transgressions against you.

"..."

"What's wrong, Ayanokouji-kun? Why did you suddenly go silent on me? Surely you were able to convince a few dimwits? That task must be in the realm of your capabilities, or am I mistaken?

"I wasn't able to convince any of the idiot trio, with Sudo reacting the worst and nearly choking me with my own tie."

"...Is that so?"

Despite me failing my objective set by Horikita, I could sense more of her anger directed towards Sudo than me, thankfully.

'Sorry Sudo, but it's better you than me.'

"I think we're going to have to tackle this from a different angle if we want to get these three onboard with teaching them."

"What are you suggesting?"