Chapter 8: Broken Bones

Raven POV

After Lockhart's class that day, we all four stayed behind to see if he would sign our note to get the potions book in the restricted section. Hermione approached Lockhart's desk, a piece of paper clutched tightly in her hand. Ron and Harry were behind here while I stood by the entrance. 

"Er-Professor Lockhart?" Hermione stammered. "I wanted to-to get this book out of the library. Just for background reading." She said as she held out the piece of paper. "But the thing is , it's in the Restricted Section of the library, so I need a teacher to sign for it-I'm sure it would help me understand what you say in 'Gadding with Ghouls' about slow-acting venoms."

"Ah Gadding with Ghouls! Lockhart said taking the note. "Well, I'm sure no one will mind me giving the best student of the year a little extra help." He said as he wrote his signature on the note, and handed it back to Hermione. She pocketed it.

"So, Harry." Lockhart said. 

Oh great, here we go. I thought. 

"Tomorrow's the first Quidditch match of the season, I believe? Gryffindor against Slytherin, is it not?" He said as Ron and Hermione joined me.

"No it's vampires versus werewolves." I mumbled rolling my eyes; Ron lightly chuckled and Hermione gave me a glare.

"I hear you're a useful player. I was a Seeker, too." Lockhart said.

"And I'm still seeking for a crap to give." I mumbled causing Ron to snort, and Hermione to hit my arm.

"I was asked to try for the National Squad, but preferred to dedicate my life to the eradication for the Dark Forces. Still, if ever you feel the need for a little private training, don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to pass on my expertise to less able players." Lockhart said.

"OK!" I said running up to Harry and grabbing him. "We're done here!" I said dragging Harry out of the classroom.

"I don't believe it." Harry said "He didn't even look at the book we wanted."

"That's because he's a brainless git." Ron said. "But who cares, we've got what we needed."

"He is not a brainless git." Hermione said shrilly as we quickly walked to the library.

"You're right Hermione, he's way worse." I joked causing Harry and Ron to laugh. She just gave me a glare. "You'll see for yourself one of these days."

We entered the library and handed the note to Madam Pince, the librarian. "Moste Potente Potions?" Madam Pince questioned reading the note suspiciously.

"I was wondering if I could keep it." Hermione said.

"Harry will get you a signed autograph from Lockhart, just like that one." I said as Harry gave a look of betrayal.

Madam Pince held the note up to the light, as though determined to detect a forgery, but it passed the test. She walked off and returned to us with the book. Hermione grabbed it and put it in her bag.

"Why did you say I'd get Madam Pince an autograph, Raven?" Harry asked. "You've been helping me stay away from Lockhart."

"I wasn't serious. Besides we needed the book, and fangirls will believe anything if they still believe Lockhart's books." I said eyeing towards Hermione.

Five minutes later we were in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. Hermione opened the book and scanned it. "Here it is." She said as I read it over as well. "This is the most complicated potion I've ever seen." She said then read the ingredients. "Lacewing flies, leeches, fluxweed, and knotgrass."