Chapter 11: Ice Skating and Pictures

Raven POV

When I knocked on the door, there was no answer. Instead the door seamed to open up by itself. Harry and I looked at each other and shrugged as we stepped in. The familiar office was empty besides Fawkes. I went over to him while Harry went to the sorting hat. I looked at Fawkes and could see and sense that he was ill. I heard the hat and Harry talking but zoned it out. "It's almost time for you isn't it Fawkes." I said scratching his neck. It gave a silent coo.

Harry walked over and saw me with Fawkes. I backed my hand away as Fawkes burst into flames. Harry yelled in shock and backed away to which I snorted. Fawkes then became a fireball and gave a loud shriek as it was then nothing more than a pile of ash on it's resting place. The office door opened and Dumbledore came in.

"Professor." Harry gasped. "Your bird-we couldn't do anything-he just caught fire." Dumbledore and I smiled which surprised Harry.

"About time too." Dumbledore said. "He's been looking dreadful for days. I've been tellig him to get a move on." Harry was still shocked and confused which caused me to let out a laugh. He looked to me.

"Harry, Fawkes is a phoenix. Once a phoenix reaches a thousand years old they burst into flames to die and then are reborn from their ashes." I explained. "Take a look." I said pointing to the ashes. We looked to see a tiny, wrinkled, newborn bird poke its head out of the ashes. It was quite beautiful and cute to me. "An astonishing thing to witness." I said.

"Indeed." Dumbledore said. "Though I would have liked for you to see him on a better day. He's handsome most of the time, wonderful red and gold plumage."

"I think he's beautiful either way." I said in awe at Fawkes. Dumbledore chuckled.

"Fascinating creatures, phoenix's. They can carry immensely heavy loads, their tears have healing powers, and they make highly faithful pets." Dumbledore said. He went behind his desk as was about to speak but was interrupted by the office door opening with an almighty bang. Hagrid had burst in with a wild look in his eyes, his balaclava perched on top of his shaggy black head and the dead rooster still swinging from his hand.

"It wasn't Harry or Raven, Professor Dumbledore!" Hagrid said urgently. "I was talking to them seconds before that kid was found, they never had time sir-" Dumbledore tried to say something, but Hagrid went ranting on, waving the rooster around in his agitation, sending feathers everywhere. "-It can't have been them, I'll swear it in front of the Ministry o' Magic if I have to-"

"Hagrid I-" Dumbledore began but was interrupted.

"You've got the wrong boys sir, I knew Harry and Raven never-" Hagrid began.

"Hagrid!" Dumbledore said loudly. "I do not think that Harry or Raven attacked those people."

"Oh." Hagrid said with the rooster falling limply at his side "Right, I'll wait outside then, Headmaster." Hagrid left.

"You don't think it was us, Professor?" Harry asked hopeful.

"No, I do not." Dumbledore said. "But I still want to talk to you." Harry looked a little nervous and I could tell why. "I must ask you, Harry, whether there is anything you'd like to tell me." Was he going to tell Dumbledore that he could hear voices. It would be a bad idea if he did. Like we told him before, hearing voices is not a good sign.

"No." Harry said. "There isn't anything Professor." I wanted to give out a sigh of relief but that would give us away.

"And, Raven." Dumbledore said looking at me. "Have you experienced anything like you did the other night when we found Mr. Creevey?"