Chapter 1: A Drastic Turn

As time went on Anthony and Angel's rivalry had only grown to epic proportions. Yet as life has proven many times over, nothing really stays the same. That summer morning Anthony, Marcus, Edmond, and Angel had all gone out for a hunt. Something that was very common during the summer months when they were all together. Yet like clockwork Anthony made his annual scene voicing his displeasure of Angel coming along. Not regarding the fact that she came each and every year since she turned ten. 

This year was no different as Anthony had made sure that everyone knew how completely ridiculous it was that Angel was coming along. "But she is only fourteen years old, how is it even possible that she can even be allowed to hold a rifle let alone go hunting with it?" Edmond had a look about him that begged the question. He did not understand why each and every year Anthony would do this. Marcus could only smile while he shook his head quite amused at the show. "You know very well that Angel is always welcome on our lands to go for a proper hunt." 

As Anthony continued with his complaints Angel muttered under her breath "He's just jealous that I am a better shot." Anthony catching the tail end of her mutterings whirled around to look at her. "Excuse me." He said quite hotly, she could see the vein pulsating on his forehead. It popped out indicating the irritation that she had known the entirety of her life, from none other than Anthony Bridgerton. Angel only giggled, poking her tongue out at him as she trailed behind their fathers. 

Anthony huffed in annoyance trudging behind them. At some point, the Bridgerton men had split off from the group in search of a deer. The land was blooming under the summer sun as they passed the green shrubs and leafy trees that gave them shade from the warm summer morning. They carefully made it across to the fallen tree watching their footing as they ventured onward.

It had been quite a search but they had finally come across a beautiful stag. They had quickly crouched behind a log, as Anthony lined his rifle to take the shot. His gun held firmly in his hand as he took in a steady breath. His father whispered advice to him as he went to pull the trigger. His eyes locked on his target. No sound or object penetrated his concentration for it was fully on the beautiful creature in front of him. 

Standing there six feet tall with impressively large antlers. Its coat shone like gold as it caught the streaming light from the sun that cascaded down through the trees. Its head reached up to grab at some leaves that hung low from the branches. Anthony took in a breath from his nose, closing one eye. His finger was firmly on the trigger ready to be pulled. BANG! The forest rang with the sound of the shot. The birds burst through the trees, and the sounds of squawks and the flutter of wings were quickly met as they soared up toward the sky and away from danger. 

Anthony and Edmond watched as the deer collapsed on the ground with a thud. Anthony and Edmond looked very confused for Anthony had not pulled the trigger. The sound of footsteps could be heard, as Angel walked up from behind the deer with a proud smile on her lovely features. "I got him, father!" She exclaimed with merriment. Anthony could only sit there slack-jawed for only a moment before he snapped, losing any and all control of his temper. 

He got up in a fumed rage storming over to her baring his teeth, unable to contain himself. "Angel, that was my deer!" he chided her. She turned to him without even flinching. Her right eyebrow arched up as her lips pouted out "Well what were you waiting for Anthony, an invitation to shoot him?" Her face broke out into a teasing smirk followed by a chuckle as she witnessed Anthony's crestfallen face. Very quickly though his face grew hot from embarrassment, his cheeks taking on a red hue. He ground his teeth at her quickly regaining his prior feelings of anger. His nostrils flared as he went to make a snide remark back.

Edmond very quickly wanting to defuse the situation put his hand on Anthony's shoulder, distracting him before he could start another argument with the girl. "Very good Angel, it was a hell of a shot," Edmond said with a kind smile, his eyes glittered in approval mixed with amusement at the witty girl that always knew how to put his son in his place. Marcus came up behind him with a Cheshire grin. Anthony could only stew at the fact that his moment was taken from him. "Why don't we continue on?" Edmond suggested before all hell broke loose.