Chapter 7: What Do We Do?

Everything had been going well at Aubrey Hall even weeks later when September had arrived. Especially after the night Angel and Anthony spent together. They had all gone back to the status quo and no one was the wiser. Yet there was a sense of change in the air when the two were occupying the same room. 

But the arrival of the new month was usually the time when the Radcliffes would pack up and go home. Due to the circumstances, this particular occurrence was being heavily debated by the family. Violet had told Veronica and Angel that the invitation to prolong their visit was open to them for as long as they wished. Angel had readily agreed but her mother had decided that it was time to discuss their plans with Marcus.

"I believe that by the end of September should be when we set off for home," Veronica said in a matter-of-fact way. Angel though heavily disagreed.

"Why don't we stay through Autumn and decide then?"

It was a reasonable request that both his girls had made, but Marcus had to have his input as well.

"I do not care what is to happen but I will have to travel back and forth to deal with certain affairs in London."

Veronica's face dropped at that. Veronica was known to be headstrong and independent but as of late, she had liked that her husband was close. Especially after the death of their beloved friend Edmond, she did not like the idea of being away from her husband. She stood up and walked toward Marcus grabbing his hand.

"Then it is settled we remain together as a family. We shall all head home to London."

Angel shot up from her seat. Her eyebrows furrowed and her face held an annoyed look, her mouth thinned pinching at the edges. Marcus immediately felt the need to step away from the scene that was brewing. "No."

Veronica squinted at her daughter clicking her tongue in annoyance. "What do you mean, no." She said carefully with a clipped tone an edge that both participants knew intimately. Angel though was every bit like her mother not only in appearance but in temperament.

"I want to stay. If you and Father must go to London then go but I will stay here until I feel that it is the right time to leave."

"Absolutely Not!"

Veronica combated vehemently. "You are a child, my child, and if we say we are leaving then you are to come with us."

Angel was not about to give in. She was stubborn and since she was an only child she tended to always get her way. "Why can I not stay then?"

If her mother was going to be this way then she was going to drive her to the point of madness herself.

"You have studies, tutors, and books that are all home. Where will you take your courses and study if not at our family home? How will you learn to be a proper young lady who is ready to step into society if you do not learn?"

"They can come here or if not I will sit in with Daphne and the girls."

"Oh no, no no no no no."

Veronica even waved her finger at her daughter leaving her husband in his spot as she walked closer to her. Her heels clicked on the tiled floor as she approached her. 

"You will pack and leave with us. End of discussion."

"No." her fists tightened beside her turning her knuckles white as she held in her anger.

Angel said again. "I will stay here, I can make my own decisions on what is right for me and I want to stay with the Bridgertons."

Veronica's face had turned pink from all the anger that spun within her. Angel did not care the least not wanting to give up her hand. Veronica turned around to Marcus. "Can you not step in and speak with your daughter."

Marcus took the opportunity to get closer to his girls putting an arm around his wife trying to calm her.

"Angel darling why is it that you wish to stay?"

Angel sighed not exactly knowing why but she just wasn't ready. "I just can't, papa. Please understand I can't just leave them."

Her eyes got a bit misty at the thought of leaving and having to say goodbye to them. How could she go back to her life after all that had happened? How could she leave Violet, or the girls, or even Benedict and Colin but especially Anthony? That was the one thing she had driven herself mad over. How could she say goodbye to the boy who had stolen her heart, who had finally become her friend?

She did not have the heart to leave him when she knew he might still need her. "Please papa mama, please don't make me leave." Marcus' heart ached for his daughter but ultimately waited to hear what his wife would say. "Angel we understand that you have been through much these past few months. We all have." Her father held a sad expression in his eyes and a sorrowful look to match as her mother spoke. 

It struck something within her to see her father in so much pain but she held steady not ready to give in. "I have to agree with your mother Angel I believe that it is time for us to go." Angel was surprised by this. Her father would have jumped at the idea of staying but why, why did he have to agree with her? It was not fair, she could not leave even if she wanted to she could not leave them. She finally fell apart letting her anger get the better of her. 

"Then we have nothing left to talk about. I am not going and you can not make me!" She said as she screamed at her parents. Marcus and Veronica were quite stunned by their daughter's behavior. She may have been stubborn but she was not unreasonable. Angel stormed out of the room before they gathered their bearings to come up with a reply. 

Veronica turned toward her husband. "What should we do Marcus?" She had this stunned but questioning look about her but he could not provide the answers that his wife sought. He was not angry with his daughter for wanting to stay but he could feel this ache in his bones when he thought of leaving Aubrey Hall. 

After her outburst, Angel locked herself away not allowing anyone access to her room. Her mother had tried to enter but to no avail. She kept trying to lure her out or persuade her to let her in but nothing worked. If Angel were, to be honest, she was a bit embarrassed at her little outburst. She had thought that she would be able to keep her emotions in check. Her parents though did not see what this was doing to her. They didn't understand, and even though she was not the type to yell at them, she could not think of another way to express her anger toward the situation. 

This tantrum as Veronica had put it had lasted the entire day and through dinner as well. Angel refused to see, speak, or leave her bedroom. Once she knew everyone had gone to bed she snuck out of her chambers and quietly as she could walked down to the office where she knew Anthony would be.

Once she had made it to the door she knocked. Hearing the words "Enter" she pushed open the door to the room......

To be Continued.

Sorry for not posting yesterday

Sorry for not posting yesterday. My Easter was Sunday and even though I thought I pressed publish when I was editing the chapter I clearly did not. I probably saved it instead. Anyway, I really hope you enjoyed the chapter and I can't wait to share more with you. Thanks for reading!

- Kiki