Chapter 6: Confused and Conflicted

Angel had been pacing the length of her room wondering where it had all gone wrong. She could not be falling for that spoiled, brainless, egotistical prat! How could she have stooped so low? An image of him earlier that morning popped into her head. His hair lay messily on his head, his eyes closed and his face relaxed. His lips were a lovely shade of rose and she had not realized how handsome he was... She stopped the intrusive thoughts. 

She could not think of him this way. They had finally become friends, they had finally mended the years of torture that they had put each other through. He had just lost his father for godsakes and she had the nerve to start to develop feelings for the man. No, this needed to stop, this must stop. "I will stop". She said out loud stopping a few steps away from her mirror. 

She was breathing heavily and her hair was a mess the braid coming loose from all her haphazard movement. The frustration had overcome her. How could this be? She moved toward her bed determined to forget these feelings but all that had accomplished was to fall into a restless sleep, thoughts of Anthony running around her head.

Anthony had been busy this morning even though he had woken up groggy and hungover he had gotten a good night's sleep. It had been a long while since he had gotten one of those and he was grateful. The only problem was his mind kept wandering back to the image of Angel. Her face her eyes her hair.

God damn it her hair messily hung around her face. Her plump rouge-colored lips just made him lose all sense. The most alluring thing about her though were her eyes. The emerald color only deepened when the light touched them. He had not noticed that someone had knocked on the door before that very door was opened by none other than Benedict Bridgerton. Anthony was still in a world of his own when he sat down in front of his older brother. 

Benedict smiled lazily before finding the perfect moment to intrude on Anthony's thoughts. A skill that had been perfected from years of practice. Anthony glared at Benedict once he had gotten his attention with a loud cough that broke the silence. The little line between his brows returned to his face.

 Benedict's smile only grew knowing how irritated Anthony was. "Where did you come from?" Benedict's smile never faltered. "You know brother there is a world just beyond that door over there. Maybe it is time you joined us." Benedict with a special brand of sarcasm that could only come from the second eldest Bridgerton as he pointed at the door giving his statement more effect. 

Anthony just glared at him finding no humor in his words. "I am well aware of that world, it is I who account for it and the wellbeing of this family by staying here to do the work that is necessary." Benedict could only roll his eyes. " Brother, why must you always take everything I say to heart." He pouted a little for dramatic effect placing a hand over his heart in mock hurt. "Did you lose all your sense of humor?"

 Anthony stubbornly glared at his brother raising an eyebrow at him. "What has brought you here Benedict and please be quick about it." Anthony sighed knowing that his family could never outright say what they wished but had to poke fun whenever they could. "Do you truly not miss my company?" Benedict smiled gently liking the reddish tinge that Anthony was starting to turn. "Benedict," Anthony said in warning. A low but dangerous tone could be heard in his voice but Benedict was immune to his brother's uptight attitude. 

"All right all right. I come with an inquiry about a certain young lady that has been spending an awful lot of time here, in this room, with you." Benedict stared at Anthony as if he were waiting or more likely anticipating some type of response that Anthony clearly did not have. "Yes?" Benedict raised his eyebrow at his brother a lazy smile threatening to appear but he withheld. "You mean to tell me that you think that it is normal that you and Angel have been spending so much time together."