Chapter 4: King of the Castle

Everyone was stunned to silence when Anthony entered the room but Angel had been even more surprised than she let on. She realized this as she smiled at Anthony and with that tiny act alone it released the grip of his nerves. As he marched to the table taking his seat at the head across from Violet and beside Benedict and Angel. He unfolded his napkin placing it on his lap trying to avoid the stares that he was getting from his family. 

Angel cleared her throat, catching everyone's attention. They all continued with what they were doing previously as if nothing had happened. Yet the family still took a peek toward the new Viscount sitting rigidly at the head of the table. Angel couldn't contain her smile as she looked at her plate taking a tiny sip of her wine. Anthony leaned toward her ear. "Stop smiling like that". She whispered back. "Like what?". She played coy, her eyes held amusement glowing with the light from the candles that surrounded them. "As if you have just won a prize," he said back unamused, yet Angel could see the slight smirk that was quickly replaced with a scowl. 

She was bemused he seemed so vulnerable at the moment yet she could tell that his walls were firmly in place. "Then all should feel sorry for me if you are to be my prize." She whispered to him only to follow her comment with a giggle. Anthony was not amused at least no one would be able to tell if he was, he sat stoically, but he was. Anthony was annoyed at this revelation since he had not thought that her reaction would have moved him thus. Yet it did and he was pleased to know that she was happy. 

Surprisingly enough she was content at this moment, how strange to feel anything akin to happiness when it came to Anthony Bridgerton. Dinner went smoothly and everyone seemed at ease except for Anthony who seemed to constantly be readjusting his position in his seat. He did not seem very comfortable but that could be due to a number of things. That is when Violet decided to address her eldest son. 

"Anthony how have you been fairing?". Her voice at the end trembled as if asking had taken a great deal of effort. Angel looked at the Bridgerton matriarch. Her eyes seemed to hold a haunting look as she concentrated on her son. Anthony seemed to still of all movement as he caught his mother's eyes. He remained passive but loving. He did not want to worry his mother, she had gone through enough it was the very least Anthony could do. "Everything has been accounted for and all matters have been dealt with for the season. I have only just gotten acquainted with managing our books but do not worry our affairs are all in order." This did not seem to satisfy her answer. "No dear, I was asking about you." That seemed to stump Anthony. He had not given it much thought but what came out of his mouth was. "I am well." 

It was not a complete lie but it was not entirely the truth. She smiled at that but you could see a lingering emotion that Anthony could not distinguish. Everyone seemed lively and jovial at dinner. There was laughter after so much time where there was only a grave-like silence that had settled upon the house. Angel had rung her glass bringing all the attention to her. "I would like to make a toast." She held her wine glass up. "I would love to toast to a member that we have all lost, he was a dear friend, a beloved husband, a devoted father, a wonderful godfather. He has not only changed all of our lives but in his death, he has left a mark as well. We will always love and remember Edmond Bridgerton and may he rest in peace". 

Angel could not bare to look into anyone's eyes as she stood in her spot. That is when she felt a hand in hers she looked toward Anthony who was giving her a watery smile. That is when Anthony stood up raising his glass letting go of Angel as he did so. Benedict, Marcus, all the women, and even Violet stood up. All holding back tears in their eyes as they remembered the late Viscount Edmond Bridgerton. "To Edmond and may he rest in peace". Violet spoke as she raised her glass looking at Angel with a loving glance.