Chapter 2: Wondering Hearts

One Week Later.

Angel felt like a crook as she entered the house through the servant's entrance. After leaving the children with her mother and father, she decided to go out riding to clear her thoughts. Yet absolutely nothing had ebbed the sting of the events of the week. She could still hear the howling of Violet's screams and the searing pain emanating from her very being as Edmond died in her arms. Tears pricked her eyes as the moment took hold of her mind, she quickly wiped them away before quietly closing the door behind her. 

It was nearly twilight as she snuck through the back of the estate. A few lamps had been lit casting shadows as she walked by. Her dress was a tad long as it dragged on the floor dirty from her ride. She slipped off her mud-covered boots as she walked down the hallway. She tried being as quiet as a mouse passing Edmonds, no, Anthony's office. She had planned to sneak by quietly but as she tiptoed past the door she could hear crashes and bangs tumbling around the room. 

Her curiosity got the better of her, drawing herself closer to the door she could hear grunts and yells. Her heart started to pick up speed, her hands started to shake hearing the agony in each and every wail. The tears she had been fighting away moments ago threatened to break through. In a rushed moment, she went to grab the handle of the door but once she touched the knob everything went silent. 

She pressed her ear to the door but all she could hear were soft sobs. A pesky tear trailed down her cheek. She clutched her hand to her chest at the sound of such anguish. Angel's lips quivered, her throat burned as she held back a cry, her stomach twisting into knots. Images of Edmond and Violet flooded her mind as she pressed her hand to her lips. Her nose burned as she tried to regain her composure. 

She gathered herself as best she could, mustering for any ounce of courage, and slowly opened the door to the office. Once she entered she could see that the room was in complete disarray. Books were thrown, glass was on the floor, and papers were strewn all across the room. It was as if a rhino had come and torn up the place and in the middle of the mess was where Anthony sat balling his eyes out. 

He hadn't noticed her at first but the minute he realized someone was in the room he turned away from the door. His crying ceased. "What do you want?" He grumbled. Angel was a bit speechless, the most obnoxious and self-assured man, No, the boy she had known, was sitting here on the floor crying in a mess of his own making. She did not say anything as she took a step closer. 

Anthony heard her dress drag on the carpeted floor and he got up from his position. He discreetly turned his head to see who it was that had disturbed him. When he realized who it was he sighed. "I don't have time for childish games, Angel. Either tell me what you want or leave me to my work." She almost snorted at his choice of words. She took another step closer to where he was, taking small strides toward him until she was only a foot away. His shirt was ripped and dirty with ink stains and wine.

She went to reach out to touch him. Before she could make contact he abruptly turned around. Pushing past her he walked to the door, opening it as he gestured for her to leave. She walked up to him but he stubbornly would not look at her. "Please." She mumbled to him as she touched his hand. He jerked away walking behind his desk to put some distance between them. "Just leave Angel." She was about to head out but as she touched the door handle she gently shut it close. 

Anthony turned toward the noise of the gentle click but was met with the back of her head. She quickly turned toward him, her moss-colored eyes meeting his hazel ones. She could see they were rimmed red from his tears, he was ashen as if life had been drained from him entirely. Her lips settled into a frown as she looked at Anthony.

"Angel." He said so quietly his eyes misted with unshed tears. "Please." He barely whispered out the words cracking as they passed his lips. He closed his eyes trying to hold back the tears that threatened to spill. She took this opportunity and got closer barely inches apart. She reached forward and touched his cheek, wiping away a stubborn tear that had escaped.