carnation

"I'll take the usual," Naruto declared to the lunch lady. He held a dark green tray out towards the gray haired woman, expecting her to serve him some bland mac and cheese.

The old woman arched a thin eyebrow at the blond and flipped the plastic spoon handle between her gloved palms. She questioned Naruto warily. "The usual? Who are you?"

Naruto wore a puzzled expression and glanced at Sakura who stood beside him. She laughed at the situation and clarified for the confused lunch lady.

"It's Naruko," Sakura stated with a snarled smile. "She got a haircut."

The lunch lady curled her chapped lips up and stared at Naruto. Her dull brown eyes traveled along his face and she started filling in the pieces in her mind with every unique feature Naruto possessed. His warm tan skin, bright blue eyes, and whiskered cheeks were all under inspection. These were the attributes that made Naruto sought over in his school. His face was like a vintage doll; paired with that personality of his, made his appearance infectious to any onlookers.

The lunch lady scolded herself for not recognizing the blond and dipped her spoon in the gloopy mac and cheese tin. "Oh dear, I'm sorry about that..."

"It's okay!" Naruto beamed with a head tilt. "I've been getting that a lot today. Nobody recognizes me!"

"You look very different without your long hair! Why did you cut it?" The lunch lady frowned from its absence.

"It makes me feel more comfortable having it this way," Naruto admitted.

The lunch lady stirred the mac and cheese absentmindedly, torturing her brain with the dilemma in front of her. Why would such a pretty girl hack off all her golden locks? The lunch lady would kill to have such youth back. It almost made her resentful, how someone as pretty as Naruto could casually cut off such long hair. Burdened by old age, the lunch lady's hairnet was more voluminous than the twigs she calls hair.

The lunch lady sighed and plopped some mac and cheese onto Naruto's tray. "It's such a shame that you had to cut it. Although, the short style does suit your face."

"You think?" Naruto brought one of his fingers up and traced his soft jawline.

"It's awfully feminine. It honestly makes you look unique." The lunch lady smiled with her eyes and shoved the spoon into the murky mac and cheese.

Naruto frowned but begrudgingly took the compliment with a twitching brow. "Thanks."

The lunch lady said her goodbyes and Naruto moved up in the line. He grabbed an apple from the large basket placed at the end of the line and began walking back to his table. Sakura followed close behind with the same dark green tray, except hers was suspiciously empty. All that laid upon the cheap plastic was a small slice of wheat bread from the sandwich line.

The sight of Sakura's tray only added to Naruto's unease. For the past couple months, Sakura has been eating the bare minimum during lunchtime. A slice of bread was usually her go-to, but sometimes she would treat herself to chocolate chip cookie. As much as Naruto despised Sakura for her constant transphobia, she still worried for her health.

"Wow. That looks so fulfilling," He observed.

Sakura simply shook her head. "Don't get on my case, Naruko. I have to make up for a huge family dinner I ate during winter break. This is the only way to keep my figure."

"It's winter. Nobody is going to see your figure," Naruto remarked.

"Um, yes they will." Sakura widened those emerald eyes of hers. "Did you forget about the party my boyfriend is hosting at his dad's lodge this weekend? I'm bringing my swimsuit!"