Becase she was inverted

Once outside in their gear, Maverick wrote on a chalkboard the pairs explaining the process, " Alright so we will have three planes in the air at a time, one will be piloted by me with Rooster tagging along of course. Then the other two will be two of your classmates - and copilots if they have one- you get killed you land and Hondo counts your two hundred push-ups and of course vice versa. Once one group's round is done the next will take off as instructed by personnel in the tower. I will then communicate when the round begins. Everyone understands?" Seeing as he got no questions he continued, "Good. Here are the pairs, Group 1: H20 and Parrot, wingman Fox. Group 2: Mayday with wingmen Wildcard and Tango.Group 3: Falcon wingman Stealer. Group 4: Broadway with wingmen Malcom and Miles. Finally Group 5: Renegade with wingman Hawk. Alright Rooster and I will get up there and then the fun begins"

Jade and 'Hawk' - also known as Lieutenant Jared Jansen - were waiting inside listening to the radio waves, watching the plane lands, hearing the profanities roll, and watching as every single one of their peers did two hundred push-ups. Jade looked at Jared, "Well Hawk, looks like it's down to us. Let's get that son of a bitch. Thinks he's so great because he's an ace. He'll never see us coming Hawk. Listen, you be my eyes, let him chase me. I'll keep dodging, eventually, you appear to be cocky telling him to watch himself. Then he will go after you." The two were now walking to their jets, " I'll disappear, as long as Bradshaw doesn't get in the way. He shouldn't, I'm hoping he's still enough Pilot to loose his sight. I know how to rile them up, get them fighting. Then I'll deliver the final blow. Just keep him in one spot, and we'll knock his ego to Australia"

They were in their jets now, lining up for take-off. Hawk responded to Renegade's plan through the radio waves with a simple, "Damn Straight, Renegade, although I would have given you Savage as a call sign." Finally, they gave the okay, and the two were up in the air. Maverick was nowhere in sight but you could hear him on the radio. 

Renegade looked at Hawk and nodded, She radioed into Mav. "Hey Mav, before we start Hawk and I was thinking."

Mav laughed, "Go on Renegade

"We got to listen and see everyone else fail. So we thought, double or nothing. Four hundred pushups. Since we got an advantage." Renegade smiled. Watching around her, and noticed Hawk watching for Maverick as well.

"That's a deal Renegade. Don't wine when you're doing them though." Rooster laughed.

"Don't laugh now Rooster, you're gonna have to carry the old man home after his push-ups." Hawk laughed.

"You guys asked for it. The fight is... on!" Maverick shouts.

"3:00 Renegade!" Hawk shouts. The three end up in a crazy dogfight. "Fuck Renegade they're focusing on you! Let me help and stop cutting me the fuck off!"

"Get lost Hawk, I can handle it myself!" Renegade sneers, seemingly letting her anger control her. Hawk slips away as Mav and Rooster talk over the radio.

"Maverick, I wonder what her problem is?" Rooster asked.

"Not clue, but she doesn't like me, for sure" Mav responded.

"And she seems pretty connected to Goose, you didn't kill her father too? Any other canopy incidents or just my father?" Rooster got defensive at the end, he knew that truly in a way Mav did kill her father. He was very protective over little Mitchell, always have been and always will be. Renegade was banking on this to get Hawk a clear route to disappear. 

"Rooster this is not the time, shit Where's Hawk?!" Maverick suddenly noticed, " She keeps evading me!" He then screamed in frustration.

"Shit I lost him! He must have slipped away! Shit, shit." Rooster began frantically looking around, gasping for air as he fought against the g- forces pressing down on his lungs.