Top Gun Class

Ah, finally the day had come. It was beautifully sunny out - which made Jade and her fellow graduates very happy that it was dress whites season.

The white folding chairs were set up beautifully. The ceremony was occurring where it had been for at least the past thirty years - The Island Club at North Island, poolside of course. They all stood around nervously as they awaited the direction to be seated. It was currently eleven in the morning and the ceremony started at twelve - so we could go to the Doom Squad meeting later that evening, they would be a bit late however.

The family was invited as well - only two guests per person due to the small location and the currentness of the next and well-first mission since graduation. The family also wasn't allowed to interact before the ceremony with the graduates, it was a very structured process.

This didn't stop Jade from spotting her mother on the other side of the pool. Jessica was with Penny - who was there as Captain Mitchell's guest. So, Jade wasn't surprised to see Penny there she was surprised by the woman on the other side of her mother - Sarah Kazansky. That must have been who was taking the extra guest ticket.

Jade felt tears threatening to slip out - but took a deep breath. She had to remain calm - she still had a speech to get to as the top pilot of her class. Admiral Beau had informed the top two of their position prior - the rest unknowing but rather confident in their guesses.

Soon enough it was twelve and the students found their way to the designated seats - a ceremony they practiced earlier in the morning.

Captain Maverick took to the podium after being announced by Admiral Beau, "Hello students, and hello to your families as well. These past thirteen weeks have been tough, yet you all managed to get to this crucial point in your career as a fighter pilot - Top Gun Graduation." An eruption of applause ensued, "This class has had many trials as they grew this semester. From Peanuts exploding all over their F-18, Parrot I'm looking at you," laughter ensued now, "to traumatizing from a crash." It was silent as everyone tried not to look at Jade, "However, in personal experience - witnessing these events makes all pilots involved better. Shoutout to the class of 1986." Everyone laughed as Ron Kerner whooped at the mention of their Top Gun Class. Pete continued after a menacing look from Admiral Beau, "Continuing though, It has been an honor teaching you all. I have total confidence that you all will go on to become amazing pilots. Now, onto what you have all been waiting for - the Top Gun Trophy. The two pilots at the top of the class were merely only separated by a few points. When I invite the pilot who wins to come up to the podium to receive the trophy..." Captain Mitchell paused for a moment, for dramatic effect, "Aviators - it's my delight to present the Top Gun Trophy for your class to... Leiutenant Jade Mitchell. Callsign: Renegade." Pete smiled as Jade stood, the entire audience breaking into applause as Jade made her way to the podium. It wasn't Captain Mitchell looking at her, but just her father Pete. He handed her the trophy plaque and shook her hand, looking at the camera down the center aisle of seats posing for a quick picture.

After the photo, the crowd settled, and Jade turned back toward Pete. She knew she had to remain professional, so she just gave a short nob to him, turning toward the podium's microphone to give a speech. "I'd like to start by saying this is quite an honor to receive and I am very thankful for it. This season at Top Gun has been anything but easy sailing - or flying rather," a few laughs, "We've worked hard for this day certainly and made some crazy memories along the way. We laughed, cried, lost wingmen -" Jade sighed, as she glanced at the one empty seat amongst the graduation chairs, she wishes he were here - but he was unsafe, "I am deeply honored to earn this trophy - despite being the third Mitchell at Top Gun, I've been the first one to win." Jade gave a smirk as she glanced back at Pete giving a classic Mitchell smirk, "I'll get this over quick - but I believe thanks are due. Firstly to all of you in front of me, my graduating class. You've all challenged me and picked me up when I fell - even if that fall was from thousands of feet in the air. I couldn't have healed without you all - let alone get in a plane again after the crash. My lovely mother, who had the balls to yell at Admiral Beau about mail." more laughs as Jessica blushed in the back, "To my crazy, daredevil of a father - who is very dumb because it literally took the crash for him to realize I was his daughter." This absolutely made Bradley cackle - along with Admiral Beau who up until this point was clearly unamused, "And lastly - to the man who raised me as his own, " she locked eyes with Sarah Kazansky who sat at the back row, "Tom Kazansky. I wouldn't have joined the Navy without his help. I - I never got to say goodbye or tell him that while I went to flight school to find my father - I only went because he thought I could do it. I owe this entire career path to him, but now - no longer in pain - he is flying forever, Nick Bradshaw finally has a pilot to fly him around. Thank you." Jade smiled a single tear rolling down her face as Pete, Admiral Warlock, and Admiral Beau approached the podium to take a photo with the new graduate.