You get a RIO! You get a RIO! You all get a RIO!

Family weekend was two weeks ago. The pilots were so close to the finish line. They had three weeks until graduation. The class moral was sinking as they dreaded the approaching of finals, but they all rejoiced because they all had enough flight points to graduate by this time in the program. Stealer and Renegade were fighting for the Top Gun Trophy, but Renegade was still many points ahead. 

The students sat in class wondering just what Maverick had left to teach them. When Maverick walked into class he quickly explained what would be going down this week, "Alright so, if you are H20, Malcolm or Wildcard. Looks like you'll have an easy week. This week, due to the large amount of Pilots without an assigned RIO, Admiral Beau asked me to make sure you are all properly trained with a RIO. I will give you your pairs of which RIO in the class you'll be working with. Then at the end of the week, Thursday and Friday, you all will be paired with Rooster as your RIO and with your wingman against me in a dogfight. Understand?" Everyone nodded, "Alright so these pilots will be working with this RIo. Alright, Fox, Mayday, and Broadway you'll be working with Miles. You four can go in the conference room across the hall. Miles make sure they know what they need to ask of you. You may go now. Alright, Falcom and Stealer with Tango. You guys can go out in the hall. That leaves Renegade and Hawk with Parrot. Pilots who have these assigned RIOs you go and join in and teach the other pilots your routine. Dismissed. Oh the third group can stay here." 

Parrot and H20 immediately began explaining that Parrot as a RIO was responsible for navigation, the radar and communications. So while in the air, they'd be responsible for keeping communications up, monitoring the radar, and calling out where bogies are. They all nodded, it was simple enough. H20 explained to Hawk and Renegade that having a RIO is all about paying attention to them, and not letting your ego get in the way. When you get sent on tough missions you'll get paired with someone, not because you aren't a good pilot, but because the mission is highly stressful. Pilots are human, and the last thing you need in a intense mission is only having yourself to rely on. Parrot then expressed, "You do your pilot shit, and let me do my RIO shit. All will be well. easy peasy." 

With this class was dismissed, saying that they could schedule times to practice with the tower. They were also told by Maverick that they should schedule a meeting with Bradley because you should always get to know your RIO before you go up in the air that way you don't let the confusion of a new person in the cockpit overlook the real task at hand, not dying that is. 

As everyone excited Jade sat there anxiously, it wasn't the fact that she was flying with a RIO. She could do that, that was easy enough. If anything it took more pressure off of her while she was trying to fly. There isn't much need for them currently, they also manage weapons, or some of them. However, when flying older models like f-14s they were needed. Maverick and Rooster proved with the Dagger Mission that you never know what type of fighter jet you might find yourself in. No, Jade wasn't worried about that. Parrot and her got along anyway so there wasn't anything to worry about there. She honestly couldn't pinpoint what was making her anxious. That was until Maverick called after the exiting students, "Hang in there aviators! This hop is number 31! Only a few more before graduation. But you all have enough points to graduate, so just get out there do your best and be ready for your finals." 

That's why Jade was anxious, Hop 31 two weeks to graduation. That was the hop that Goose died on. Jade remembered when she was younger, 

Jade's mother had taken her over to her Uncle Ice's house for dinner, like they usually did on Fridays. Jessica, Carole and Sarah, Ice's wife, had all been close friends. This fateful Friday the adults were talking while dinner was cooking, when the two youngsters ran in both crying and refusing to talk to each other. The adults were super confused, they weren't sure what had happened. That was until, through the tears, Bradley stated, "Her dad is Mav." That was when Carole took Bradley out of the room, and Ice took Jade to his office to explain why Bradley was upset with her. The women talking to Bradley explaining that Jade had no clue who he was or what happened. Ice on the other hand, explained what had happened that fateful hop while the three of them -Mav, Goose and Ice - were at Top Gun. Jade didn't quite understand. So Ice decided to play the recordings of the radio of the crash. Yes, Ice was stupid and traumatized a child. Please note that this was before his eldest was born, and learned NOT to play violent comm recordings to young children. Especially when its of their dad for all purposes killing their best friends dad. In conclusion it was not a proud Uncle Ice moment. Anyway, this is what Jade heard,