Sunday Traditions

The next morning started the same as any other Sunday for Hangman. He woke bright and early at 5 AM sharp just as his body was accustomed to, and decided to go for a morning run. He ran a total of 3 miles before heading back to his house, showering and getting dressed for the day. He sat down at the small table in his kitchen, a look at the clock told him it was now 8:15 AM and he found himself pocketing his essential belongings and making his way out to the vintage black Chevrolet truck that sat in his driveway. His body moved on autopilot without giving it much thought at all to where he was headed. 10 minutes later he was surprised to find himself sitting outside of the home he had shared with his wife, the one she still owned now. He took in the sight of the quaint white house with the robins egg colored front door that y/n had been so excited to paint after they had bought the place. Jake smiled at the memory of following her through countless aisles of paint at the home improvement store before she had finally settled on the bright blue color. He would never forget the thousand watt smile she flashed him after she'd asked him what he thought of the color and his reply was that it was perfect.

Jake closed the door to his truck and made his way through the small gate separating the picket fence that enclosed the front yard and made his way up to the porch, opening the screen door to knock gently at the blue door. He had just contemplated turning back for his truck when the door swung open revealing y/n standing on the other side. He couldn't help the fond expression that overtook his features as he looked at his ex wife standing in front of him dressed in her favorite overalls with a cropped tank top and bare feet, her dog tags nestled around her neck against her chest. Her hair was shoved into a messy bun on top of her head and her reading glasses sat perched on her nose. She was holding a ceramic bowl filled with icing that she had been stirring but stopped once she opened the door.

"Jake? Is everything alright?" Hangman shook his head as he came out of the daze he had found himself in,
"Oh yeah everything is fine. I just wanted to come check on you, after last night and all. Just wanted to be sure you were okay." She smiled at him while swiping the back of her hand against her forehead,

"That was very thoughtful of you, I'm just fine though don't worry. But since your here, do you want to stay for breakfast? It is Sunday after all." Jake chuckled because in all the time he'd known her she very rarely ever missed her weekly tradition.
Every Sunday without fail y/n would make homemade cinnamon rolls while dancing around the kitchen listening to artists of the past like Otis Redding, The Temptations, and the Righteous Brothers among others. Then she would spend the better part of the afternoon in the couples backyard, curled in the sunshine with a book laying on the hammock Hangman had hung for her between the shade trees during their first year of marriage.
"Well I don't want to be a burden, but I also can't say no to your cinnamon rolls y/n."
She smiled and backed into the house allowing him to follow her inside. He closed the front door behind him and slid his boots off beside the door as he always would upon entering the house after work.
He followed her through what use to be their living room and into the kitchen, perching on one of the stools at the island. He watched as she reset the needle on her beloved record player to restart the record she had been listening to before turning back to the bowl of icing, carefully spooning the substance onto the warm cinnamon rolls on the plate below.
Jake looked around the kitchen to find that much like the rest of the house, nothing had really changed in the 2 years since he had vacated the home. He had insisted that y/n keep the home during the divorce because in his mind she was the only thing that made it a home anyway, he himself had only taken his own belongings and his truck when he moved into his own house that was about 5 miles away. He hadn't failed to notice on the walk through the house that the photos of the couple still resided on the walls just as they had when he occupied the home. Y/n opened the cabinet by the stove and pulled out two plates, serving a few of the pastries onto each plate. She crossed to the cabinet beside the fridge for 2 glasses that she filled with milk and passed one to Hangman. He had just raised the glass to his lips when she opened the screen door to the back porch and a huge streak of brown and black fur flew into the house and straight toward him. He barely had time to sit the glass on the counter before the dog had jumped with its front legs only to land in his lap,
"Gunner! Hey buddy, I missed you big slobbery thing you." Jake excitedly petted the huge Bloodhound that had made himself at home in his lap. Yet another thing that the two shared when married, he had bought the dog for y/n to keep her company while he was away for missions after she had been taken off of active duty.
"Gunner Seresin you get out of your dads lap and let him eat right now!" The dog gave one last long lick to the side of Hangman's face before sauntering off into the living room.
"Glad to see he's not forgotten you." Y/n chuckled as she sat at the table across from his own chair, the same ones they'd occupied when they lived together.
"That makes two of us."

The two ate in relative silence just enjoying the music that quietly filled the small kitchen and the breeze that blew in through the screen door. Once they were both finished y/n collected the plates and moved over toward the sink to deposit them there and Jake couldn't help his eyes roaming over her back, coming to a stop at her right shoulder. The wounds had long since healed but the scars that crisscrossed around her upper arm and over her back like the roots of a tree were as present as ever. He felt his heart clench with guilt as he stared at his ex wife's once perfect skin. He quickly looked away before she turned back toward him and leaned against the counter,
"So, were you going to stay for a while? I think Gunner and I will probably go to the park this afternoon, if you'd like to go your welcome to." Jake stood and pushed in his now vacant chair,
"No I..I really should be getting back to the house. I have a few things to take care of before work tomorrow. But it was nice visiting you, thanks for the breakfast." She offered him a soft smile and nodded,
"Your always welcome to join us for a meal anytime."
He crossed the floor toward her then, wrapping an arm around her back and pressing a long kiss to her forehead,
"I'll see you around y/n." He made his exit from the kitchen, giving Gunner one last petting before putting his shoes on and leaving through the front door closing it quietly behind him.
"See you around Jake."