25. Sobriety

CHAPTER 25
Ilaria de Luca

We get to the house and he gets out to open the door for me again.

I unbuckle my seat belt before getting out. He walks me to the front door and an eerie feeling grows in my stomach.

Marcus doesn't look okay...

I swallow hard, trying to calm down and just relax because I'm probably over thinking this.

"Drive safely, okay," I say unlocking the door and he nods. "And don't take your eyes off the road for even a second," I say and again he nods. "And don't drive fast," I say opening the door and he smiles.

"I'll be fine," he softly says.

He pulls me into his arms, giving me a tight and long hug. I rest my chin against his chest and he smiles.

"Don't look at me like that," he says and I sigh. "I'll be fine."

"I know," I softly smile as we break the hug.

He puts both hands behind his back and I turn around. I take a step but stop, turning around.

"Thank you," I say, looking up to meet his eyes. "For tonight."

"Yeah, of course," he fights back a smile as he takes a step towards me and I immediately stop breathing as I stare up at him.

"You, should uh... go. And get some rest- or enjoy the party," I softly say and a soft grin tugs on his lips.

"You too," he gives me a subtle, single nod and I feel my temperature rise as he looks down at me.

I open my mouth to speak but clam it shut. I watch as his eyes linger on my lips for a second before he closes the space between us.

Goosebumps rise on my skin as I feel his chest against mine.

He gently tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and leans down.

"Goodnight, Ilaria," he softly says, kissing my cheek and I feel my stomach tingle, butterflies spreading.

He pulls back and I feel the heat in my cheeks.

"Goodnight," I softly say, watching him step back.

He nods towards the door and I put my hand out behind me to open it wider. I walk backwards until I'm inside and closed the door.

I let out a huge breath, resting my back against the door.

Oh, sweet Jesus.

I immediately walked to the kitchen and chugged down a glass of water before heading upstairs.

I got undressed and hopped into the shower. I stood under the water, my heart racing as the warm water spilled over my head and shoulders, trickling down my body.

What is wrong with me?

Marcus and I are friends. Just friends...

He just showed me a good time tonight to cheer me up, that's all.

After washing I slipped into my pajamas and got into bed, staring up at the ceiling.

I suddenly smiled at how fun the night turned out to be. I was laughing more than I thought I would.

I turned onto my side, thinking about when we sat on the trunk of his car.