Chapter 3 Waking up

Phoebe
I woke to beeping and the foul stench of disinfectant and bleach. Great, I was in the pack hospital. I tried to move, but my body felt extremely heavy, and all the cords attached to me made movement a task. I just wanted a Diet Coke; I was so damn thirsty.
The door to my room swung open, and in walked Dr Piper. Her tall stature exudes elegance. Her slender, well-toned physique added to her captivating beauty. Her long, coloured dark hair, concealing the roots of her natural strawberry blondness, flowed down her back.
Her mischievous eyes sparkled, inviting you into her playful world. Despite appearing to be in her early thirties, she possessed the wisdom and confidence of a forty five year old. Dr Piper, one of the pack’s most respected and friendliest doctors, had a reserved demeanour, yet her knowledge and expertise commanded respect.
“Well, hello there, sleeping beauty. You finally awaken after a two week nap,” she warmly greeted me with a smile as she slowly approached my bed.
“What happened?” I croak out, giving her my full attention. I needed a drink.
“Your wolf couldn’t take the stress of the events surrounding your mate; that’s why your body shut down after an unexplained seizure. I’m sure the lack of food caused this; everyone has been worried. It would be best if you had more rest and plenty of sleep. Try to eat something every couple of hours, no matter how small. How are you feeling, anyway?” she wrung her hands together while biting the corner of her lower lip.
I felt my eyes glass over. “As one would after being shunned by her mate, like shit,” I replied as a new wave of emotion hit me in my stomach, and anger surged through me.
“I know, sweetness, but the pregnancy won’t last long if it makes you feel any better because she is not his destined mate. Also, the fact that the mate pull will result in his wolf losing control and claiming you as his will terminate her pregnancy,” she gave me a warm smile.
“How do you know?” I asked, beginning to feel hopeful with her words.
“Sweetie, if you’ve forgotten I’m a doctor, I know these things. Trust me, as far as I’m concerned, you’re my next Luna, not her!” she sounded sincere as she flashed me her teeth in a beaming smile.
“Thank you, I guess, but I don’t think I can forgive him,” I murmured softly. “I think I should reject him and find someone worthy of having me. After all, he was the one who shunned me in front of the pack.”
She lifts her head from her notepad, “How is Ella doing?” she adds before lowering her head again to continue writing something new on her pad.
I vigorously scratched at my arms. “She is tucked up in the back of my mind, not responding,” I stammered. Why can’t she be more like me and hate her mate for his lustful behaviour?
Maybe I should just go and find him and stab him for what he has done to the pair of us.
“Give her some time; she is going through the same as you,” she informed me.
I don’t think so! After everything he has said and done, she still wants him as her mate at any cost.
I am a white wolf with a black spot on my forehead; my wolf’s eyes are yellow. Being a white wolf means I can run faster than any other wolf, my eyesight is sharper, and I can heal other wolves.
I’m also of beta blood. My dad is the current beta of our pack, the Black Wolf Pack. We are the world’s most prominent and decisive pack, with over 1500 members.
As I’m an only child, the beta position gets handed to me once Damon takes over. That’s if he’s not dead by my hand by the time the position gets handed over to him.
If you’re wondering why I never went to beta training, Dad and Alpha Black decided I should stay here and train with them. White wolves are rare, so they needed to keep me safe.
My beta training not only consisted of learning to fight and protect our pack’s most vulnerable members. We also had to know how to initiate wolves who had found their mates within our pack or wanted to leave their current pack. Additionally, I also studied a portfolio containing information and photographs of high ranking wolves from nearby packs. This helped us familiarise ourselves with them for future social gatherings or meetings.
Dr Piper handed me a glass of water. It wasn’t my Diet Coke, but it was good enough. As I greedily drink, she empties a syringe of sleeping medication through my drip line. Why do I need more sleep? I’ve only just woken up; I wanted to scream.
“Get some more rest,” she says to me on her way out and gently closes the door behind her.
Rest! I wanted to go on a killing spree. I already had two unsuspecting low-life pieces of crap to be my victims. Please hurry up and let me out of here.
Not knowing what the future had in store for me or what life would throw at me next, I buried myself deep under the thin cotton blanket, shutting everything around me.
My emotions wouldn’t be so unstable if I had my Diet Coke.
I woke six hours later to the fading smell of mint and chocolate, yep, you guessed it, my mate’s scent. Red hot anger burned through my veins; how dare he? I will give him what for when I see him, too gutless to visit me while I’m awake.
On the other hand, my wolf was doing excited circles in my head, pleased that her mate had been nearby.
Goddess, I hurt; I am breaking apart. Why can’t he stay away? “Mate loves us; mate wants us,” chimes Ella in my head. “Mate needs to protect his pup, though; he can’t be with us just yet,” continued Ella as she lowly whimpered after her statement.
An alpha male will go to extreme lengths to keep their unborn pup safe, even if it involves him killing.
“How would you know that?” I asked her as a new wave of hope began to form.
“His wolf Edmund, told me,” Ella replied, “Damon loves you and is sorry for what has happened. He needs you to allow him to speak to you and find out where to go from here. He doesn’t want you to reject him or vice versa,” she tried to explain to me.
I scoffed. “He should have thought about that before he let lust take control of his brain,” I replied, not knowing how to handle the news.
“Mate did not know we were his, and he still doesn’t know what made him lose control. He can’t remember. Please, Phoebe, we need our mate,” growled Ella.
I turned my head, gazing out the window, captivated by the rain’s exquisite artwork of shapes and patterns.
Thoughts were running havoc around my head. I seriously didn’t know how to forgive or be with him. Then there was the issue with his pup; his alpha wolf would protect it at all costs. Am I meant to sit back and watch him play happy families? Where do I fit into all this? Maybe it’s best if we reject each other.
But first, I knew I had to face my fear, and that was to stand in front of him and confront him head-on.
My hospital room door swung open with a loud bang as it hit the wall behind it, and in walked Jacob.
Oh! How I missed him.
I tried to sit up but quickly failed as the machine beside me started beeping flat out.
He grinned as he made his way towards me. “Two weeks, Baby Doll, I’ve waited for you to wake up,” yelled my other best friend as he stopped beside me. “Seriously, get your butt out of this bed and steal your man back from that blonde bimbo. But shower first, doll, you stink,” he mocked by pinching the bridge of his nose.
He would smell, too, if he were unconscious for as long as I was. You can blame my supposed mate for that.
Jacob has a tall and slender figure, standing at 6’2”. His wavy, short brown hair adds charm to his appearance, while his captivating green eyes reflect a mischievous glimmer. Jacob may seem like a prankster, as he was always ready to bring laughter to those around him.
However, hidden beneath his cheerful facade lies a darker side. He can become downright nasty and cruel when pushed the wrong way. It’s best not to get on his wrong side; he would most likely blow you up with some form of explosive. So, if you ever come across Jacob, run for your life.
All the girls in the pack were jealous of my friendship with Jacob. Little did they know that Jacob and I shared a sibling like connection rather than a friendship. They constantly embarrassed themselves, always throwing themselves at his feet, wanting his attention like the wild creatures that we were. Jacob would always laugh at their silly attempts while waiting for his mate.
“Don’t look at me like that,” I ordered.
He frowned at me, “I’m confused; like what?”
“Like you’re disappointed in me,” it wasn’t my fault she took him away from me.
“I wasn’t. It’s just that you’re all I’ve got, and you smell terrible,” he grinned.
I rolled my eyes and chuckled at his words. Trust Jacob to lighten a bad situation.
Jacob sighed while reaching for my hand again. “I would never treat you like that, Phoebe; you will always be special to me. I am so angry at Damon for doing this to you. I still can’t figure out how he doesn’t remember sleeping with her. It’s hard not to throttle him each time I look at him. Instead of being happy with you, he now has to put up with his consequences, a bimbo at that. Seriously, have you heard her voice? I would rather listen to a bunch of hyenas,” he boisterously laughed.
I threw my head back and joined him, laughing wholeheartedly. “Thank you!” I mumbled while being squashed into his chest from his bone-crushing hug once my laughter had subsided.
“I’ve decided to meet with him and find out what his plans are regarding our mate bond,” I mumbled, my face still buried into his chest, afraid to meet his eyes.
I hope it doesn’t turn into a blood bath.
He held me at arm’s length, his gaze filled with tenderness. “I agree,” he said softly, “but don’t let him push you around. If he gives you any trouble, make sure you give him a good beating. And remember, always do what feels right for you, even if it means you are lying beneath him,” he playfully wiggled his eyebrows, teasing me.
Well, that was straight to the point.
Chuckling, he gave me a quick kiss on my forehead and released me from his hold while yanking the cords from my body, “Now, Baby Doll, get your stinking pussy in that room and shower while I run and grab you some clothes. It’s time to show him what he is missing out on while having fun while we’re at it. It’s time to party,” he smiled brightly at me, sounding more like his playful self.
What was he planning?
Standing on shaky legs, I hobble into the shower room. Looking in the mirror, I gasped at my ghost-like complexion; my big blue eyes which were usually the colour of the ocean, looked dull and lifeless and had sunken into my sockets.
My waist long dark brown hair hung limply and looked greasy for the lack of not washing. Not to mention, it was sticking up all over the place, and my face looked thinner. Great, being already on the thin side, I looked and felt utterly disgraced with myself. How could one male do this to me? Sighing, I stripped off the hospital gown and stepped under the stream of hot water.
It felt blissful on my dry, chaffed skin. Twenty minutes later, I emerged from the shower room dressed in light blue track pants, a black tank top, and white Converse shoes that Jacob had left for me outside the door.
Feeling a little better, I headed back to sit on the bed, waiting for Jacob; actually, where did he run off to?