Chapter 1 - The Senior Year

7 years later

"Aria! Come on. We're gonna be late!" my friend, Cameron yelled from her car, honking like her life depended on it. I was sure Mrs. Nettie from across the street was standing in her yard, arms akimbo, glaring daggers at Cameron. But Cam did not care what others thought about her or about what she did. She was her own person.

I was running late today, since I had been finishing up a new painting the previous night and had lost track of time. I got into bed around two in the morning and only startled awake when Cam called me up half an hour ago to tell me she was picking me up for the first day of our senior year of high school.

I quickly brushed my waist length hair into a bun, swept on a stroke of mascara and cherry lip gloss and glanced in the mirror. I mostly wore baggy sweatshirts (a few that I had borrowed/stolen from my best friend Luke) and jeans. I knew I was nothing special. And I was partly glad about it. Beauty came with distractions. And I couldn't afford to let anything get in the way of my ultimate goal: to get a scholarship into MIT for their fine arts program.

Since I hated leaving the house without showering, I barely had time to grab a granola bar from the kitchen before I ran outside.

"Stop honking, you dork!" I said before climbing in the brand-new Kia that was my friend's new ride, courtesy of her loaded parents.

"Why? Would Mrs. Yeti call the cops?" Cameron grinned and I knew her eyes were crinkled behind stylishly studded Aviators. It was a game that we both played by rhyming names with Mrs. Nettie's personality.

"I wouldn't put it past her," I said, snapping my seat belt into place but Cameron was already zooming away.

"So, what plans for this year?" she asked, changing the subject. "You gonna make a move on Mason?"

"Uh, no. Of course not." I rolled my eyes. "I need to focus on this year and start applying for colleges as soon as I can. I need the scholarship, you know that."

It was Cameron's turn to roll her eyes. "Babe, you have been working hard since you've been in diapers. This year you're going to live a little. Make eye contact with boys. Go clubbing. Have your first drink. First kiss. First you-know-what..."

"No way, Cam," I said, trying hard to not blush. "I'm not interested in any of that."

I tore the wrapper of the granola bar and bit into it, groaning appreciatively.

"That's 'cause you've never tried any of it," she reasoned, then shook her head when I offered her a bite. "Are you not into Mason anymore? I thought you liked him."

I looked away. Mason Walker was a handsome guy, tall and intelligent. He was athletic and good with people. All in all, he was way out of my league. But the best part was, I wasn't even interested in him. The only reason I told Cam I thought Mason was hot was because she kept hounding me on who I liked. No way could I tell her who it actually was that I liked. Also, Mason would never be into a nobody like me. Ergo, he was safe.

"Well, do you or not?" Cameron asked, when I did not reply.

"Of course, I still like him. But you know there is no way he would notice me, so can you please just let it go?"

"You're wrong about that. I've seen him look at you a couple of times."

"Uh-huh. Sure you have."

She just smiled, still watching the road, as she expertly maneuvered the car in a sharp right turn. I eyed her suspiciously. I had seen that look before and it did not always bode well for people around. Before I could ask her where her mind was at, she changed the subject. "So, how is Lucas?"