Chapter 2 - The Football Player

After getting our schedules, we barely made it to class in time for the first period. Both Cameron and I had similar classes, except I had taken more AP classes for my scholarship.

For the first class, we both had Business Management. I knew for a fact that Luke also had taken this class, along with his girlfriend. When we entered, he was seated in the back with her, whispering in her ear. Ignoring the pang in my chest, I took a seat in the middle of the class. Cameron did not sit with me but went to sit with one of our other friends, Wendy.

I started taking out my books and stationery, when Luke plonked in the chair next to me, slinging his arm on my chair. "Hey, Doll. What's up?" He had started calling me Doll ever since he'd repaired my porcelain doll for me. Initially it annoyed me to no end but now I barely paid attention to it.

He was wearing a gray colored Imagine Dragons t-shirt with jeans and looked so good that I had to turn my eyes away from him.

As discretely as possible, I turned to look at his girlfriend who seemed to be glaring at me. "Um. Not much. Don't you think you should go sit with Angelina when she's in the same class?"

Luke turned to his girlfriend and winked at her, making her giggle girlishly. Then he looked back at me, leaning in. "She knows how important you are to me, and if she ever questioned that, I'd leave her in a second." He shrugged carelessly.

I rolled my eyes, his words affecting me more than they should. Didn't he realize that he talked to me as if I was his girlfriend, and not the girl he was making winky faces with?

"So," he nudged me, "did you watch the movie I gave you yesterday?"

"Not yet. I was studying. Then I was painting."

"What? What were you studying? The school year is literally just starting."

I shrugged, looking at him sheepishly. "I just wanted to see what curriculum we had this year."

He shook his head, like he couldn't believe me.

"What? Are you surprised?"

He chuckled lightly. "Nope. And I'm glad you're done with that. We can watch the movie tonight. Your place."

"Nah-uh. I've got to do homework. It's our senior year. I'm sure we'll get loads."

He shook his head again. "No way. I don't think I can allow you to do that, Ms. Matthews. Tonight is my night."

Before I could reply to that ominous statement, our teacher, Mr. Gianni walked in and started on the roll call. After staring down each student in the stern way that he had, he handed out the syllabus for the year and began an introduction to the course that he would be covering that semester. 

I focused my attention to him, studiously ignoring the boy next to me.

Thankfully, he kept quiet, allowing me to take my notes in peace.

After the class was over, we did not have any of the same classes but made plans to meet in the cafeteria at our usual table.

When Cameron and I walked away, she could barely contain her excitement. "I was right! He has gotten so much hotter. Did you notice his haircut? How his hair flops on his forehead? And his t-shirt was so tight, I thought his muscles would tear it at a seam or two."

I laughed at her hopeful expression. "No, I didn't notice. He's just Luke, that's all."

"I can't believe you. And he had his arm around you the entire time."

"No, Cam, his arm was on my chair."

"Same difference." She waved away my explanation. "I think I would have swooned if he was so close to me. And you were taking notes!"