Chapter 29 - Questions

"Ok, Ms. Miller. I'm going to be asking you some questions. Please respond as explicitly as you can," said the stony-faced Detective Bell. She had classic features with high cheekbones, dark caramel skin, and black hair that she had pinned up in a tight bun. Emily and Brian, Luke's parents, sat together on the loveseat, their hands clutched together in support. Emily sniffed, a constant stream of tears leaking from her eyes. Adam, who had flown in from his university as soon as he'd heard, sat on a chair pulled from the kitchen.

Detective Bell occupied the other armchair and her partner, Detective Ronalds trod around the house, his eyes missing nothing.

"Rose and I were at the park," started Emily, her voice hoarse from hours of weeping. "She was playing with one of her friends, Whitney. Suddenly they both ran towards the entrance to the park. I was on a call but I followed them and I saw them talking to a man. Before I could say anything, he grabbed her and started running. I tried to run after them but he just threw her in the backseat of a car and drove off. I tried following in my own car but I lost... them..." Her voice broke and she started crying again. My own eyes spilled silent tears seeing her pain.

"Can you describe the man?" the detective inquired.

"I don't—" Emily paused. "He was wearing a parka with a hat and sunglasses. He probably had dark hair and he was of average height. I—" She shook her head, looking helpless. "I wasn't about to catch any distinguishing features."

"That's fine, Ms. Miller. Try to remember whatever you can. Did you manage to catch the license plate number?"

"There was none," said Emily.

The detective did not look surprised. "What about the make of the car?"

"It was... it was probably a black Prius but I can't be sure."

"Was there anyone else driving the car?"

"No," Emily said, her expression aggrieved. "No, he threw her in the backseat, then got behind the wheel and just drove off. I just— it happened so fast—"

"I understand, Ms. Miller. What was Rose wearing?"

Emily described in detail the attire that Rose had been dressed in, as the detective took copious notes.

"If you could provide us with a photograph of Rose, that would be very helpful."

Brian instantly pulled out his wallet where he had placed a picture of each of his children. Tugging out Rose's image, where she smiled cheekily at the camera, he hesitated for second before placing it in the detective's hand.

Detective Bell observed the picture for a few seconds before filing it in her notebook. "Also, I would like the contact of Rose's friend Whitney that you mentioned. Were her parents with her? Did they see Rose being taken as well?"

Emily nodded. "Yes, her name is Frankie and she was right there with me." Emily rummaged her purse for her phone. "Here is her contact number."

The detective jotted down the number in her notebook. "Now, generally you may be getting a call for a ransom demand within 24 hours. We'll get our team to set up a workstation here to track the call when it comes."

Emily and Brian nodded and the detective said something else but I was distracted when my phone rang. Pulling it out of my pocket, my forehead furrowed when I noticed it was an unknown number.

Walking to the window so I didn't disturb the ongoing investigation, I picked up. "Hello?"

"Hello, Aria," said a smooth, cold voice.

In response, a chill ran down my spine like ice water.

"Don't say anything. Just listen," instructed the voice. "Because if you haven't suspected already, I have little Rose with me right here."