Chapter 8 - The Revenge Plan

"I'm going to come right out and say it. Aria, I like you. A lot."

For a minute I could only stare at him in stupefaction. Time seemed to have stopped. I could feel heat slowly rising from my neck until it felt like flames were licking my face. Did he really say that?

Mason stared back at me, raising his eyebrows expectantly. When I didn't reply, he spoke up. "Well, are you going to say anything?"

"Wha-?" I began, clearing my suddenly squeaky throat. "I mean, what are you talking about?"

Mason gave me a tiny smile, his eyes twinkling. "I said, I really like you."

"I don't get it," I replied, shaking my head. This seemed like a really bad dream. I mean, I half expected Vecna and Freddy Krueger to walk by hand-in-hand and then it would be a proper nightmare. There was no way Mason was actually saying the words that I thought he was saying.

Mason smiled crookedly. "What don't you get? I mean, you are smart, talented, beautiful, funny. You're, like, everything I've ever wanted in a girl."

"Mason–"

"Except you have one tiny flaw."

I frowned. "Flaw?"

He nodded, but this time his smile did not reach his eyes. He sighed regretfully. "You belong with someone else."

"I don't... understand." This whole conversation felt outlandish.

Mason shrugged. "Luke came to talk to me yesterday after school, just before practice."

My brain felt so sluggish, I could only shake my head in perplexity. What did that have to do with anything?

"He told me, and I quote, to stay the hell away from you. Well, ordered me, actually."

I suddenly had my voice back. "What?" I exclaimed so loudly that Mason had to shush me.

He laughed. "I had suspected it for quite some time. Ever since I sat with all of you that day, at lunch. Luke was looking at me like I had killed his pet or something."

I narrowed my eyes. "Suspected what?"

He didn't answer for a beat. And then, "That he's in love with you."

"I don't- what are you – are you kid- he's not in love with me!"

Mason grinned mischievously. "I have no doubt at all that he is. Now the question remains: do you feel the same?"

I felt breathless. I just gaped at him while he patiently waited for me to respond. How did he guess so easily, when no one had before? My eyes involuntarily slipped to Luke who still stood motionless, staring in their direction.

My eyes moved back to Mason who calmly looked back with a knowing smile on his face. "I think your silence answers my question."

That was too much. "Mason, you're like a bulldozer with these— these allegations!" I burst out.

Mason chuckled. "Allegations? Really?"

"Yes, allegations. You have no proof at all and are just building these tall tales like they're your dream house."

That made him laugh out loud. "I knew you were funny. But I can get you proof."

I frowned. As if it were that easy. "How?"

He hummed, his eyes glittering. "First of all, we're going to tell everyone that I asked you and you agreed to become my girlfriend."

"Excuse me?" I cried. "That's your plan? What would that prove?"