I. HAWKINS HIGH'S FAVOURITE CHEERLEADER

CHAPTER ONE
↳ hawkins high's favourite cheerleader

CHAPTER ONE↳ hawkins high's favourite cheerleader

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Laurie Fisher knew she had a pretty powerful reputation. It was evident in how people responded to her presence. She was 'Little Miss Sunshine' as she had been voted as last year at the end of term. She was voted as 'Most likely to become a celebrity' and simply charmed everyone with her upbeat voice and seemingly unlimited energy. She was an optimist, never once thinking how bad something could be and always looking on the bright side.

But, something always puzzled people about Laurie Fisher. Never once had she dated someone. She had turned down Jason Carver in freshman year, as well as many other boys who simply fawned over her like no tomorrow. While she appreciated it, she just wasn't interested. She'd give a polite excuse to why she wasn't, though it never really was true.

"So, Laurie," one of the cheerleaders, Anna, had started, giving Laurie a grin. The girl looked over, nearly smudging the purple eyeshadow that Chrissy Cunningham was applying. "You finally gonna get a boyfriend now?"

Laurie frowned, not expecting such a question to be suddenly asked. "What?"

Anna laughed as though Laurie was an absolutely dumbass for being confused. "I mean, look at you! You're gorgeous and yet you still haven't found a boyfriend!" Laurie held back a blush at her friend's compliment.

Laurie laughed. "I'm just waiting, I guess." She shrugged, smiling sweetly at Anna. She turned back to Chrissy, closing her eyes so that the girl could apply the purple eyeshadow on her eyes. "Chrissy, why can't I just put my pink eyeshadow on again?"

Chrissy laughed airily. Though Laurie's eyes were closed, she could vividly picture the smile on Chrissy's face. "It won't match the uniform."

"But purple doesn't look perfect with it either!" Laurie protested. "And you're still wearing your blue eyeshadow!"

"But purple is literally your colour." Chrissy pointed out, adding on the power. She looked proudly at the work she had done. "Voila, all finished."

Laurie opened her eyes, standing up and moving towards the mirror. She beamed at Chrissy. "Thanks Chrissy, what would I do without you?"

"Not have perfect eyeshadow for every game we cheer at." She grabbed Laurie's hand, giving it a warm squeeze. "Come on, we all better go otherwise we will be late."

Now, Laurie Fisher wasn't going to hate on Cheerleading, she absolutely loved it with all her heart. It's just, she always wondered why the skirts had to be so short and why the girls had to move so fast in every moment. She was putting on a smile while she internally wondered whether or not she'd accidentally flash some innocent bystander.

Hopefully she didn't, for both her sake and that person's sake.

She waved her pompoms with a grin on her face while dancing to the beat of the music the band was performing. Ever so often, she'd glance at Robin Buckley, who'd also glance at her.

Every ounce of Laurie prayed she didn't look like a complete tomato in front of the whole school.

The moment their performance ended, the crowd erupted into shrills of applause and cheers, while the cheerleaders all beamed at one another. They all moved towards the side, shaking their pompoms with glee and sat on the ground. Chrissy was sat next to Laurie, immediately laughing.

"That was so good!" She had exclaimed immediately, the crowd still loud enough to make it difficult to hear what she had said.

Laurie nodded. "You looked great!"

Then, a loud voice beckoned the players in, "and let's hear it for your Tigers!" Everyone erupted into applause as each boy ran in, led by Jason Carver, Chrissy's boyfriend. The marching band played to further emphasis their entrance, each boy smiling widely.

Jason Carver took the microphone. "Good morning, Hawkins High!" Everyone broke into applause, cheering for the team that would hopefully take home the championship tonight. "First off... Hey. First off, I'd like to thankeach and every one of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big hand." The crowd cheered. "And of course, of course,I have to give a special shout-out to the bestand the prettiest fans of all time, the Tiger Cheer Squad." They cheered once more and the girls all bashfully smiled.  Jason then spoke once more, more directly to Chrissy. "Chrissy... Chrissy, I love you, babe."

"How romantic." Laurie laughed at Chrissy, who was red after blowing him a kiss. Chrissy simply laughed.

"You know... I think I canspeak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins." Now was the soap story. Laurie managed to keep the usual smile on her face, though she couldn't help feel bad when Jason Carver casually brought up trauma in the middle of a motivational speech. "So much loss. And sometimes I wonder,"How much loss can one community take?"" Laurie knew very well that people in this audience were directly impacted by the mall fire. She didn't understand why Jason brought up so much pain and suffering, but she just played it off as the typical 'motivational' crap. She could feel how uncomfortable everyone was at the mere mention of what happened that Summer. She couldn't imagine how awkward Max felt, knowing how much it had impacted the Mayfield girl. "In dark days like this,we need something to believe in. When we were down by ten points at halfto Christian Academy, I looked at my team, "Think of Jack."  "Think of Melissa."  "Think of Heather." "Think of Billy."  "Think about our heroic police chief, Jim Hopper." "Think about every one of our friendswho perished in that fire." "What did they die for?" "For us to lose to some... some crap school?""

Laurie knew one thing: winning some basketball tournament wouldn't bring justice to all the people who had unfortunately died. They had died horrid deaths that were undeserving, yet now were tools of motivation? It didn't make sense to the Fisher girl whatsoever.

"No."

"No!"

"For us to return homewith our heads hung low in defeat?"

"No!"

"-No!"

"No."

"Let's win this game. Let's win this game for them. And that's exactly what we did!" The audience broke into cheers. "We embarrassed those candy-asses in their own house, and now tonight, tonight, we're gonna bring home the championship trophy! Let's go!"

Laurie cheered, but really all she could think was how crap that motivational speech was. Had Jason really thought it through? It didn't seem so. Otherwise, he wouldn't have brought up a tragedy to boost school spirit. Like, obviously people died, but these were people that people here knew.

People like Max, who lost family, were here and had to hear that. It wasn't at all fair.

But Laurie simply smiled.

That's all she could do.

No matter how hard her cheeks hurt, or how tired she felt, she smiled because smiling was who she was. It was all she was good at really.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

laurie and chrissy are fruity. this was a completely unintentional thing i wrote into this and if jason didn't exist and they weren't in the 80s, they'd be publicly dating at some point

yes that's canon

i said so since im the literal writer of this fic

idc

chrissy was laurie's first crush

laurie was chrissy's

they would've been gfs