X. THE NEXT VICTIM

CHAPTER TEN
↳ the next victim

CHAPTER TEN↳ the next victim

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

By the time Laurie, Robin and Nancy arrived at the school, something had happened. The three girls had rushed into the hallways, an unsettling feeling in their stomachs as they entered Ms Kelley's office. Max Mayfield, in all her glory, looked absolutely petrified the moment the three girls had entered the room. Laurie couldn't blame her, whatsoever, not after she heard about everything. She couldn't help feeling queasy when Steve and Dustin described it to them. Max, unresponsive yet her eyes wide open. It left Laurie feeling awful, her mouth running dry as she looked at the red head who clearly wasn't at all okay.

Max had taken them exactly where she had been led to in her vision. Laurie didn't know what she had expected to see, but she certainly didn't expect to see nothing. She blinked a few times, rubbing her eyes and turning to Max with a frown on her face.

Max shone her flashlight at the direct spot she was describing to the group. "It was here. Right here."

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy frowned, clearly very confused on why Max was describing some clock.

"Sounds oddly specific," Laurie mused, immediately wanting to slap herself for being rather blunt. "Sorry, wrong timing."

Max hesitated before whispering. "It was so real." It was very clear to them all that the girl was being truthful. They couldn't not believe her after everything that had been going on for the last twenty four hours. First it was Chrissy Cunningham, then Fred Benson, there wasn't any room for dismissing Max now. Not when she could be the next victim. "And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just...I woke up."

Dustin further added. "It was like she was in a trance or something. Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy."

Laurie interrupted, her eyes wide with confusion the moment Dustin had said that. "But Max hasn't gone floating?"

"What?" Dustin turned to the blonde in confusion.

She put her hands up in defence, trying to think of a way to properly word her thoughts. She started, "Didn't Eddie say Chrissy went floating and then her bones broke and-and then you know- eyes?"

"Well yes but-"

"Vecna's taunting his victims beforehand, then." Laurie concluded, looking at Max. "Like, I know I'm not very experienced in this thing with the downside up or whatsoever, but earlier you all said about serial killers stalking - taunting - their victims and so what if these 'visions' are what he's doing?" She sighed, running her hand through her hair. "Like, Fred was acting weird according to Nancy and I think-I think I saw Chrissy having her vision, I don't know though."

Steve looked at Laurie with confusion, furrowing his brows slightly once she had finished saying what she said. "What?"

Laurie sighed, shaking her arms slightly. "I got confused too. But like, she had been out of it all day the day it happened and I went to her about it and she-she sorta just stared off into space... like something was behind me."