02 , escape

The next evening, Daisy and Aris sat quietly at their table as Janson called more teenagers to take to their 'new lives' as he called it, but she and Aris knew it was a lie. It was so blatantly obvious, but these teenagers were so happy to finally be 'free' from W.C.K.D to even notice the hints and clues in front of their faces.

Daisy watched as her friend strangely inspected the piece of bread in his hands. She opened her mouth to say something, but decided against it. Besides, Aris was always strange, even though this was kinda taking it to a new level. 

Again, she felt the stares. She was too uncomfortable to look back at the boys again, afraid she would lock eyes with that boy again. Daisy didn't want to get too attached; there was no chance of keeping someone in these situations anymore. 

Maybe a quick glance wouldn't hurt, right?

She was too late to look though; Thomas, whose name she learned from Aris, stood up from his chair and tried walking through the restricted area with the others. But the guard recognized him and slammed his hand on his chest, preventing him from walking through. 

The interaction gained the attention of people in the cafeteria, watching quietly until Thomas charged onto the guard, causing a commotion. Soon enough, Janson entered the scene, but they were covered by other people that Daisy couldn't read their lips. 

She tugged on Aris's sweater.

"What's happening?" She signed, again, whispering the words underneath her breath. 

"I'm not sure," He signed back.

They turned their attention back towards the group, watching as they were harshly led back to their chambers. Because of the unwanted excitement, guards were ordered to lead the subjects back to their rooms. And from there, Daisy watched as Aris disappeared under the bed and into the vents. 

All she could do now was wait.

☆☆☆

Sitting on her bed, she felt the light vibrations of a group of people walking. Daisy knew Aris would arrive through a vent, not the big metal door in front of her.

A feeling of urgency grew inside her as she backed away, her mind racing through all her ideas of escape. Would she have enough to escape through the vents? 

Maybe not, but she would give herself enough time. 

Ripping the bedsheets off her mattress, she sprinted to the door, wrapping the bedsheets through the handle and knotting it to another object on the wall. Hopefully it would hold as she crawled under the bed, pulling the vent door open. 

Daisy crawled in the vents frantically, not knowing where Aris or anyone was. She wasn't a frequent vent crawler like Aris, she only knew what he told her, she had never dared to venture out in the vents. But she would rather be there in the hands of whatever W.C.K.D was going to do to her. 

Slowing down, she tried to sort out where she was by looking into gaps of the vent door below her. As she peered in, she didn't recognize any of the environment, but she did see doctors and guards. She figured she wasn't in the area of the sleeping chambers or cafeteria. 

Groaning in uncertainty, she continued crawling, hoping to bump into Aris. 

Daisy realized she wasn't getting anywhere as she continued her journey. Maybe if she had gone with Aris, she wouldn't be in this situation. Wandering around in vents in unknown places she had never seen. 

As she crawled, she realized she could start crouching now as the roof of the vents had gotten higher. And as luck would have it, there was an opening at the end.