20. fight to death

Azrael Carmen

I had lost all hope for the male species about a hundred moons ago when I was still nonexistent. They were vile creatures with ego bigger than their dick. Men believed they were all that. Except any woman could take them all down with just the right motivation. And, right now Kayden Jacobs was testing the strength of my patience.

I fake smiled down the whiskey shots I ordered along with a glass of iced coffee when he took it upon himself to sit at our table and have breakfast. Silver clashed ice as I stirred my coffee with a fancy looking teaspoon, mixing it with eighty percent strong alcohol. Then I gracefully chugged half of the thing down like I hadn't seen water for a week straight. They stared at me while I reminded myself it was for the greater good.

Violence might occur during the course of this rude intrusion in my peaceful breakfast. I didn't want to stab the man fifteen times with my butter knife at nine o'clock in the morning and ended up on hot news and all over tabloids an hour later. That was bad press. I couldn't risk it all when everything was going decently.

Kayden made a whole show of flexing his wrist and checking his designer watch. "I didn't know you're the type to need alcohol so early in the morning." He said like his opinion mattered.

He didn't know I was simply saving his life from an embarrassing death. Because I knew I would not survive this unwanted meeting without murdering or insulting him. Even Riley knew it. She had her lawyer face on, probably strategizing how to get me out of a homicide case.

I discreetly cursed at him under my breath before taking a deep breath. "I'm missing Ireland." I said and took another sip. The bitter liquid burned down my throat the same time I felt ice cooled my blood.

"We had fun in Ireland." Riley added, lifting her eyes from her phone for a second. We never checked our phone at this table. He had officially ruined this date. I internally cursed at him.

"What happened in Ireland?" He asked, cutting into his pancake. Vegan with gluten free syrup, of course.

"A lot of peaceful breakfasts without rude intrusion." I said in a bored tone while holding out my butter knife and pretending to check my newly done nails.

They were simple blood red. I was caught outside the salon yesterday with a bitchy scowl on my face. It was no wonder people thought I was a bitch. Elliot had caught the pictures on multiple beauty gossip sites and caught a glimpse of my hands. I knew because the bastard sent me an email about how they would look perfect wrapped around his dick. I blocked his number and put his accounts on spam.

At least, he hadn't sent it through one of those little notes or else I would've thoroughly traumatized my poor doorman for good. I thought as I stared at the roses on the last empty chair beside me.

He followed my gaze and stared at the bouquet. I shifted my eyes on his face and narrowed them. I watched as he looked between me and the roses like he had just seen and acknowledged it for the first time.

"What are you doing here, Mr Jacobs?" I asked.

"I've heard you're dating Elliot Salvatore." He suddenly smiled. "Congratulations on your new relationship."

"I didn't expect him to be a romantic." He said, gesturing at my flowers with his fork. "I meant once a player always a player. He uses women and steps on them like they're dirt."

I tried to not snapped at him and moved to protect the roses from his stare. "You know nothing about him then." I muttered.

"I know enough." He said, picking his coffee cup and sipping it slowly. I hoped it burned him or choked him to death. "Do you know he's doing dirty business? The Salvatores are slimey people."