27. cold dead body

Elliot Salvatore

She was in my blood. I couldn't help it. Her rage had been the most beautiful thing I witnessed. The kind of frustration that ran so deep I felt it inside the blue of her vein. I traced the line on her wrist, savoring the sight of her. I didn't know if I wanted to fuck her or chuck her out the floor to ceiling glass. Probably both.

In a sense, I was the one who gave her the power to absolutely fuck my sanity. I did it myself.

"I'm tough." Jane glared ahead, muttering under her breath as we reached the outside of her office. She abruptly let go of my hand and stalked inside.

I watched her go, staying back to lock the door. "I know you are, Jane." I told her softly.

"I can handle myself. I'm trying my best to work with them and do my job. I would do anything for this place. I did everything for this place." She said through gritted teeth, gripping the edge of her desk. "I'm trying. Why can't they see that?"

"No one think I'm good enough. Never good enough. I'm so sick of it."

My jaw clenched. There was nothing I wouldn't do to put the world at her feet at the moment. I wanted to go back in that shit show of a meeting and start a bloody massacre. Not a single person in that room had respect for her. I thought it might be because of their bruised egos to work under a capable woman. They wanted a pretty puppet to control and got a forced to be reckoned with. So, they fucked with her head and questioned her every moves.

I could practically hear their voices in her head as I studied her. She didn't tremble or even flinch. She let them played with her. Because my girlfriend would simply rather die than show her weakness.

The woman was going to be the death of me. Figuratively and quite literally.

"Do you know what happened to the last person who told me I would never be good enough?" Her hoarse chuckles startled me. I frowned, admiring her sudden cold demeanor.

The thoughts running through her head was horribly discreet. I wanted to take a bite out of her and find out what the fuck was going on.

She turned toward me with a blank looks, whispering. "I killed her."

I cocked an eyebrow and shoved my hands in my pockets. Fascination crawled up my bones, sinking its claw in my marrow and turning the gears inside my head. I leaned against the door and stared at her. "Yeah?"

"Maybe I'll kill them next."

The urge to reach under my suit jacket and hand her the gun to shoot whatever her heart desired was so fucking strong. My fingers flexed as I heaved out a sigh. "If you want to have your meltdown, do it now, sunshine."

I glanced at the clock on the wall beside me and checked the time. "You have five minutes."

Her glare sharpened at my direction. She looked about ready to wield a sword and take a swing at me. I fought not to grin at the sight. "Don't tell me what to do." She scowled.

Then the very expensive looking vase on her desk went flying across the room. Delicate painted ceramics clashed against the door right beside my fucking head with a loud crash, shattering into pieces before falling to the floor. A heart wrenching scream followed the sound and I felt it in my chest, constricting between my ribcages.

She grabbed the next nearest thing and cursed anything that ever wronged her. The stack of thick folders crumbled along the built up anger as she aggressively picked them up and threw the things at me, one at a time. Paperwork slipped out everywhere and sliced through the air, shuffling all over. I watched her wreck her office upside down. I didn't make an attempt to move and protect myself.