The Dangerous Myth

Volkov and Amaria sat in the idle car, listening to a news station of the radio. In the dead of night, the Nation's Army had rolled into the state, subdued a bewildered but belligerent US force at the border and began rolling into the country. As of now, the United States has created a state of war with the anthro nation. Meanwhile in the towns and cities across the spheres of influence, After Common Era continued to unleash hell into countless communities across greater Minnesota, turning ordinary neighborhoods and towns into battle zones.

Amaria clenched herself in the passenger seat, listening as the scene unfolded. Volkov stared out the driver seat window.

"Volk?" Amaria asks, looking to the wolf.

"Yeah?" Volkov responded, turning his gaze to the fox. 

"What are we going to do?" She asked.

"Well, once Benjamin gets back from the town down the road with supplies, we find a campground for the night."

"No... I mean about this whole... war. Everything is falling apart." Amaria asked, sniffling softly and turns her gaze out to the windshield, placing her face into her knees. 

"It is the past coming to haunt us all." Volkov answers somberly.

Amaria raises her head and looks over to the wolf, her ears perk up gently. "What do you mean?"

"When our forefathers had traded these lands for peace." Volkov replies, lowering his head.

"I... don't know history very much..." Amaria says turning her gaze back out through the windshield and to the vegetation of the clearing.

Volkov chuckles softly. "Do not worry. It is not something you learn about in school around here."

"How so?" Amaria questions, tilting her head.

"It is knowledge that you learn having family in the... political sector."

"You mean...?"

Volkov sighs out through his nostrils gently. "World Embassy. Diplomatic work runs throughout my family."

Amaria's eyes widen upon hearing those words. Her ears perk up higher.

"So that explains the accent." Amaria laughs softly, bringing her legs away from her body.

Volkov chuckles, placing his head back on the headrest and gazes up to the roof of the vehicle. "My family history is filled with Russian diplomats. Before we moved out west many years ago, I remember my father taking me to his office in the embassy. Government men wearing gray and white tuxedos. It was the most wondrous time of my life. But once we arrived in Portland, it felt like a new world. Although my father had top credentials, he had trouble finding work. As years went by, our living situation kept turning more dire. So, we moved back east."

"And eventually went to live with your aunt?" Amaria asked, tilting her head.

"Correct." Volkov nods, gently turning his head towards her. 

"Wow... does Ben know any of this?"

"Only the fact that I have relatives that work in the government. But not to its fullest extent.

"So...why are you telling me?"

"I do not know...I do not talk about it much. You are just a soul I find myself opening up to about it."

"Aw. That's rather sweet." Amaria giggles, bringing her legs back up.

Volkov smiles softly, listening back into the radio.

"...the National Guard has been deployed across the Midwest. Everywhere, trucks and men patrol the streets, but do little to stop the gunfire in communities across North and South Minnesota."