Chapter 19

Remember: Limit your conquests to outside of your home. They leave memories that make it harder to remind you it should always be a clean slate.

The rustle and tug of the sheets roused Lisa. Her bed hasn't seen other visitors; shuffles and dips weren't exactly common occurrence.

She won't remember looking up. She won't remember feeling too tired, being stuck in that place between slumber and waking life.

She won't remember clutching the sheets, subconsciously stopping herself from reaching out to the skin she has gotten familiar with over the past few weeks. To more of the heat she unconsciously sought.

She also won't remember muttering the words that seemed to have been pulled from the depths of her vulnerability.

"Stay. Please stay. You can leave me later."

She won't ever know how Jennie gazed back at her with this conflict in her eyes as if she witnessed the impossible unfold. The slight wetness in her eyes as she swallowed both her sleep and confusion, the flurry of twisting panic at the bottom of her stomach, the ache that was strewn across her face.

She won't know how Jennie paused, indefinite in the way she nervously bit her lip. She won't know the way Jennie longingly studied the curve of her neck, thinking it's starting to look like it's the coziest place on earth ever.

But Lisa would remember the feeling of warmth that snuggled on her back, of soft arms that wrapped around her, and for the first time in a really long time, she just felt solaced.

Like a dwelling, like a roost.

Like a constant.

Like a belonging she can't quite understand.

And she took a deep breath, and shed a tear for all the walls she has put up for years that just broke down unknowingly.

End of Act 1.