Chapter 21

"I don't think that was what it's supposed to do."

The giggle resonated around the living room, but it seemed to trap around Lisa's surroundings, like fingers that raked themselves through the fibers of her condominium carpet. Lisa ran her nails unconsciously through the loops of the wool as if trying to feel for herself how the sound could embed itself inside the threads.

They felt warm on her fingers, much like the way they resonated through her chest.

The soft oversized old white shirt slid through the brunette's thigh as she eased on her sprawl. Lisa could almost feel what the cotton could, leaving her surprised at how her own skin seemed to crave a lot of textures today. Her mouth watered at the anticipation of feeling the woman on her palm again: the delicateness of her touch contrasting to how strong those legs gripped her; the tiny hairs that tickled her thumb. But tonight wasn't about the heat that spun her head, tonight was simply a yearning to have them close, a certain luxury she never thought she would ever crave.

Jennie's grin was lopsided, the way her lips go when her humour tides down into a certain calm. Often Lisa found that the gummy grins twist her heart, but these lazy grins have been doing something subtle to her lately.

Like fuzzies, maybe.

Lisa's lips pulled lazily, mirroring the satisfaction on Jennie's face. There's a transition, Lisa decided, in that kind of smile. The way it eased into a quiet and allowed for things to lighten up, except there was no panic in trying to make things last, of trying to make the discussion last. The conversation had died down and it felt okay. It felt...safe. To still be in that moment and be quiet and be carried by the laughter that's still somewhat in your head and your lips are just...comfortably hanging.

It's a different kind of feeling, Lisa mulled over. And she hung on to that comfort more than the last dregs of their conversation.

Her ears started catching on to the sound of Jennie's breathing, and her chest involuntarily matched the flow of air between them.

"This is nice."

Lisa hummed in answer. Their feet swayed quietly to a tune in their heads.

"Who would have thought you could be nice this way."

Lisa hummed again. "I didn't anticipate that about you either, don't worry."

Just as Jennie snorted quietly, it was cut off by a doorbell. Both women extended their necks towards the door; Lisa's eyebrows knitted less in confusion and more in frustration that someone disrupted their quiet moment. Lisa ignored it as her head nuzzled back on her arms on the carpet.

"Are you expecting anyone?"

Lisa shook her head, stubbornly refusing to acknowledge anything outside of their bubble. She pursed her lips and frustratedly stared at her windows, willing the stranger at her door to go.