Chapter 1 : Audition

Stepping out of the Uber, Chloe found herself standing at the New York Starlight Dance Institute. She traveled light, in a hooded sweatshirt, dark sweatpants and sneakers, packed with a set of dance clothes and extra underwear in case she needs to stay overnight.

The building was recently renovated, with tall glass walls in black frames, boxing the original structure inside like a showcase, as if conserving a piece of its history.

She walked up to the front desk and presented her ID and appointment letter, the receptionist asked her to sign on a log book, picked up the phone and called upon her arrival.

"Third floor. Ms. Waltz will see you."

"Thank you." Chloe received a pass and went to the elevator.

The interior was kept to its original form, with old fashion lights hanging from the ceiling, flooding the newly painted walls to a yellowish glow. Chloe walked pass a line of paintings, mostly founders of the institute.

The elevator door opened on the third floor, and Chloe came head to head with a big fat woman.

"Chloe Lukasiak? I am Diana Waltz. You may call me Ms. Waltz." the woman introduced herself without a smile.

Ms. Waltz was in her forties, has a big head and broad shoulders, her eyes were cold and sharp, she would pass as Abby's sister if it wasn't for the red hair and glasses.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Waltz." Chloe shook her big hand.

"I trust this isn't your first time in New York?"

"No. It isn't." Chloe answered. Who hasn't seen the big fight between Kelly and Abby that left everyone in trauma? "Where do I change?"

"Oh, I want to talk about something first." Ms. Waltz led her into an office.

It didn't look like a dancer's room, there were no trophies, or pictures of dancers, just an empty room with two chairs and a desk.

"So tell me, Chloe. Have you finished school?" Ms. Waltz took her seat and picked up her resume.

"Yes, summer has just started and I'll be available until fall." Chloe answered.

"Will you consider dancing in our institute when the program ends?"

"No." Chloe shook undoubtedly. "My mother wants me to go to college."

"Are you sure? We offer college education too." the woman looked over her glasses.

"I prefer some place close to home."

"Very well." the big woman continued reading. "Can you work abroad?"

"I have a passport, and I've traveled before."

"Have you any criminal records?"

"Excuse me?" Chloe blinked.

"The question is simple. Have you any criminal records?"

The woman's voice was hard as nails, Chloe found herself back in ALDC, with Ms. Abby's eyes staring at her.

"No." she answered.

"It doesn't seem so on my file." the fat woman shook. "Record shows that you have various socials with the Pittsburgh Police Department."

"For witness statements, not criminal records." Chloe stated.

"On a school shooting, vandalism in a mall, among several other destructions."

Something's not right! Chloe bit her lip.

She assessed the office. Besides the lacking decoration of dance elements, there were no personal items, not even a plant, or pictures of cats.

"I'm sure you can verify with the police station." Chloe grew tense.

"We are a very serious institute, and we take our reputation very seriously."

"I'm sure you do, Ms. Waltz." Chloe nodded, putting on a brave face, telling herself this is not Ms. Abby. "This isn't an audition, isn't it?"

Ms. Waltz looked up at the young girl, slapped the folder shut, leaned back to her chair and smirked.

"Attitude." she nodded. "She warned me about you."

"Who is she?"

Chloe stared hard at the fat woman, her eyes narrowed and fist tightened, her mind was running through a list of events that could bring her here. The woman stared back for long seconds, as if enjoying teasing the young girl.

"How much do you know about this institute?"

"I know it is the oldest institute in New York, not exactly the top, but respectable."

"Honesty. I like that." the fat woman amused.

"I like to keep things simple. Ms. Waltz." Chloe kept calling her by name, building up confidence that she wasn't speaking to her former dance teacher.

"Tell me, Chloe. What do you see here? In this office?"

"From what I see, your work is not related to any performing categories, your office says so. What I believe, you're in charge of something else. Which department are you running, Ms. Waltz?"

The woman gave a long stared, and asked.

"What do you think we are running?"

"You looked into my police file, I'm guessing you're looking for someone in security, but not an adult. What is the age group of your agents?"

"I'm impressed." the woman broke out a smile. "Maybe it's time we talk in my office. My real office!"