Chapter 11 : Infiltrate

Based on the communication between the Cardinal and a girl named Cherry, they reached a building located at the industrial side of the city. After working hour the whole district fell into complete darkness, street lights were only posted at junctions, too far apart to illuminate a complete street.

Chloe was more uncomfortable sitting in a stolen car than scouting the mafia, Kalani simply selected a car under broad daylight, hotwired it and drove away casually like it was her own.

They parked two blocks away and made the rest on foot. Kalani was stealthy, hopping from shadow to shadow, merging herself to the environment, her black leather jacket and dark jeans blended her into darkness. Chloe watched and learn, following behind at every step. She regretted not getting a new outfit, she was still in her light grey hooded sweatshirt, it was sticking out like a spotlight.

The building was a closed down warehouse, but suspiciously guarded at the entrance. Occasionally a car would pull in, dropping off a person and left, each visitor was checked before letting into the building.

Kalani squatted, removing her jacket and T-shirt.

"What are you doing?" Chloe whispered cautiously.

"Blending in."

"We're just here to scout!"

"I am scouting, inside." wearing only a dark red bra, Kalani put back her jacket, loosened her ponytail and let it fell over her shoulder. "You stay here."

"Why?"

"Girl," Kalani scanned Chloe from head to toe. "You're just not slutty enough!"

"What exactly does that mean??"

As if to upset Chloe more, Kalani pushed up her bra to show off her cleavage, made a presentable turn like a runway model, and started walking casually across the road.

"Where do you think you're going?" the guards stopped her at the gate.

"I'm Cherry. Father Roberts told me to come here." Kalani charged a hand to her hip, revealing her naked waist.

"We don't know any Father Roberts." the guard replied without considering.

"What? I came all this way! Who's gonna pay for my ride?"

"How old are you, girl?"

"Old enough to know my business." she rolled her eyes. "Look! Father Roberts gave me this address. If this isn't the place, just tell me this isn't the place. Stop wasting my fucking time!"

Kalani sighed and turned away, one guard called her to stop. Looking back she saw him speaking into his radio. Her plan was working.

"Let's see some ID." The guard waved her back, Kalani showed him her fake driver's license. "It says Kalani Hilliker."

"Of course I am! Do you think I'll be working under my real name? Call Father Roberts if you don't believe me."

"That won't be necessary." the guard said. "I'll need your phone."

"Like hell you do!" Kalani backed away.

"We need your phone so you won't take pictures inside. This is a private gathering." the guard explained. "You will have it by time you leave."

"Fine! I'm locking my phone so you creeps won't scroll through it!" Kalani handed over a phone she bought from a pawn shop an hour ago.

Dame it, Kalani! Chloe cursed in the dark.

She was upset not because the Columbian girl put herself in danger, but that she always got her way around people. Street smart was something Chloe still needs to learn.