Chapter 17 : Gearing Up

Out of the restaurant, Kalani let out a burp, pleased with the meal she just enjoyed, Chloe walked out with an empty stomach, still tensed from what just took place.

"Will they hold their end of the deal?" Chloe asked.

"Probably not, mostly likely they'll kill us the soonest we get the Albanians."

"What?" Chloe turned to her. "Then we should get out of here!"

"Relax! As long as the Albanians live, we live."

"But how are we going to keep our end of the deal?"

"We go talk to them."

"WHAT??" Chloe screamed out loud.

They stopped at another district and found a food truck, so Chloe could eat her dinner.

"What do we do?" Chloe asked. "We can't take down the entire organization all on our own."

"Relax and eat up. It's not as difficult as you think!"

"How easy is it? If the police can take them down they wouldn't be here."

"Here's the problem with your country, Chloe." Kalani stole a fry from Chloe's paper plate.

"The police are bound by the justice system, so much that they couldn't do anything without going through the bureaucracy, and even when they could make arrest, there are months of process, court, sentencing, and even after all that, criminals can plead and retrial, or even get a free pass becoming an informant, your witness protection program offers better living than most places I lived."

"What are you saying? The police have given up?"

"I'm saying, the police in this country are exhausted, what's the point putting all that hard work for a system that favorites the criminals?"

"That's cynical!"

"That's the truth. And no one is happier to see criminals killing each other, save them a lot of paperwork."

"So how does that help us to take the Albanians?"

"That!" Kalani said. "Is where you work your magic!"

"Me?" Chloe blinked.