Chapter 23 : Morning

The police are now investigating the fire at downtown, which led to the arrest of several high officials from the justice department, as well as members of the senate, involving in prostitution with minors at a gathering ran by criminal organization...

Chloe watched the morning news from her phone, pleased with the result.

"Your plan works." Chloe nodded at Kalani. "I didn't know the fire department can make arrest too."

"They couldn't." Kalani took a bite from her breakfast. "Fire department has duty to put every survivor on their report for insurance reasons, so they aren't exactly keeping it secret, and once the reporters get their hands on that list, you'll never hear the end of it!"

"How did you come up with such a plan?"

"It's how we get rid of competitors back home, works better than the corrupted cops."

Chloe looked over to the other table, the four working girls were munching down like there was no tomorrow. Chloe has chosen a decent restaurant so everyone could have breakfast, most of the young girls never receive such a treat, all eating their food without questioning.

Laying across the table were expensive watches, rings, phones, a dozen credit cards, and a big stack of cash. Kalani made an estimation of their findings, the gang cheered with joy.

"It's gonna make us rich!"

"Having money doesn't make you rich." Chloe said. "It's how you use it to make more money."

"How?" the teens asked.

"You can start by finding a decent place to call home, put your lives together, maybe open a small business."

"No one is gonna do business with us!"

"You can if you dress decent and talk decent, make yourself respectable, only then you'll get respect, and when you do, maybe you can give them an opportunity too." Chloe turned to the girls at the other table. "Most of them trapped in poverty just like you, and you can help them, make this a better neighborhood for everyone."

"Chloe, we got company." Kalani looked out the window where two men getting off a car, one of them from the Ukrainian restaurant.

"Who are they?" Sabrina asked.

"The bigger fish." Kalani stood up.

"Wait, you're just gonna leave us?" Sabrina confused, looking at their harvest on the table.

"We just got you out of poverty, the next step is all up to you." Chloe collected her backpack. "And stay away from drugs, that's what ruined this town in the first place."

The two walked out towards the car, keeping their hands in their pockets, ready to face an attack.

"Our boss wants to speak to you." one man opening the car door.

"We're not getting into the car." Kalani said. "Whatever he wants he can speak to us on the phone. Right here, right now."

"Don't make it difficult."

The man opened his jacket, revealing a gun at his waist, but the girls launched their preemptive strike. Kalani pushed her body against the man at the door, her gun pressing at his abdomen. Chloe caught the other man's reaching hand, pulled out his gun and disassembled it, leaving the parts scattered on the road.

"Easy. Our boss just want to talk." the man said to Kalani.

"We'll talk, but not here." she removed his phone and wallet. "In the trunk."

Apparently it was not the first time they be locked in the back of a car, the two got in and positioned themselves evenly. Kalani reached in, grabbed the release lever and ripped it away, preventing them from popping the hood from inside.

"I'll be sitting at the rear passenger seat, just so you know what you'll see if you try to get out from there." Kalani warned with her gun, then slammed the trunk shut.

"I hope you know what you're doing." Chloe slipped behind the driver's seat.

"What say we do some shopping first?" Kalani said from the rear.