Chapter 4 : Old Friend

Chloe walked out the institute with a folder in her hand, deciding whether she should catch a flight home, or pay a visit to the Cardinal.

She has never been to Philadelphia, doing a task in an unfamiliar place would be high risk, she wasn't prepare for the trip, made no study of the local environment, and carried no weapon but the new baton in her backpack.

Her thoughts was interrupted by a hard tug from behind, someone was trying to grab her backpack, she hooked her arm to keep it from taken, swinging her other arm for a knife-hand strike, but the person in black hood blocked her attack and sent out a low kick.

Holding onto her backpack, Chloe spun away from the kick, leaning her back into the person and bringing her leg all the way up, forming a vertical split and kicked over her shoulder, striking the snatcher behind her, the person blocked her kick, throwing Chloe forward.

Chloe returned to her feet and quickly went into combat position, front hand open for a grab, back hand ready to launch a fist.

"Kalani!" her eyes widened, gasping in excitement. "What are you doing here?"

"Just completed a task." the Columbian girl removed her hood, letting out her long dark hair. "From Madison I knew you're in New York too, so I catch you for a drink."

"Madison told you that? I didn't know you girls talk."

"We don't. She shouldn't leave her tablet lying around!" without asking, Kalani snatched the folder from Chloe and read. "So, working for her mom, eh?"

"You know that too?"

"Madison talks."

"You just said you two don't talk."

"Oh not to me." Kalani cocked her head. "That girl couldn't multi-task. When she's on the phone she couldn't see if you're standing right next to her!"

"You mean you ear-dropped." Chloe corrected.

Kalani returned the folder to Chloe and looked at the institute building.

"So how did you like the place?"

"I haven't decided yet." Chloe shook her head. "That would mean we'll be competitors."

"Yeah! One day we may just receive tasks to kill each other!" Kalani slapped her on the shoulder.

"That's not funny!" Chloe felt it like a sledge hammer.