Volume 1, Chapter 6

Adrien couldn't believe it. Today was the day, and his heart was pounding. He knew Chloe would say that it was "ridiculous" to get that affected by a "commoner", but as much as Adrien cared for Chloe, even he could see that her blatant classism was a defence mechanism anyway.

When Luka had messaged him, Adrien had no clue what the x at the end of message had meant, but sent one in return. It was only the next day when he'd innocently asked Nino what it meant, that the realisation kicked in.

It'd been just over a week since he'd arranged with Luka to meet up and thoughts had kept his sleep even more fraught than usual all week. He sent an x!! Now though, his nerves were bubbling below, as he sifted through his extensive wardrobe. It was a rock for him, the routine of clothes and outfits. Knowing pallets and choosing complementary fabric types was so ingrained in him, that the process gave him comfort. Of course, there was an anxiety that gnawed at him in the process too. He was always supposed to look perfect – father had had that distilled the idea in him long ago. Adrien could practically recite the speeches about public image. Still, the blond wanted to look his best. Something standout, something alluring but confident. Not too flashy. Maybe the green top would complement his eyes? He could wear the jeans with holes to show off some skin, or he could go for a monochrome fit, maybe with some green chord trousers to pair the look? Might be too much green though, but the trousers would be the only chord so it wouldn't clash too uch-

"Adrien," Natalie popped her head through the door, cutting of the thought, "You'll need to be leaving soon, hurry up." The blue haired woman paused a moment, "The green suits you." She smiled. It was a subtle smile, a little turning up of the lips, where most of the warmth lay in the eyes, but Adrien knew her well enough to know it was a smile. She had become something of a maternal figure for him, shown him care in a way his father never seemed to be able to and Adrien was ever so grateful for her. Sometimes on a lonely night he wondered, whether without Nathalie, he might have turned out more like Chloe.

Throwing on the outfit, he hurried out into the car, where Natalie began to drive out from the gated mansion to the Couffaine barge. No way. It couldn't be. It was the cover from the photoshoot, projected onto a huge skyscraper. When Adrien had fallen, Luka had caught him and despite them being very close for a few seconds, he hadn't thought much of it. Now, he could see why Vincent had chosen the photo. It depicted him held in Luka's arms, taken right in the split second of intimacy. Their eyes were locked, and even Adrien had to admit it looked like a picturesque romance. Vincent did say father wanted something different and eye catching but this? Father must have approved it before it went on the cover, but Adrien would never have thought he'd have approved this. Although father did want attention for this cover, and this would certainly make a stir. Of course, Adrien should've looked at the photo beforehand if he'd wanted a say in it, but he'd foolishly opted out. How was he supposed to face Luka now?

Giving his thanks to Nathalie, he stepped out from the car and waved her goodbye. A slender figure hopped off the boat, landing with practised ease. The blue haired boy had just from quite high on the boat to the dock, in a way Adrien had only ever managed with the enhancements of Chat Noir.

"Thanks so much for coming, dude." He'd sent Luka a text to let him know he was on his way, but now Adrien's nerves were really kicking in.

"Thanks so much for having me." The blond hesitated for a moment, "Have you seen the cover?"

"I did actually." Luka smirked a little, "Not what I was expecting, to be honest"

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea it was going to come out like that, and you know how the fangirls can be, they'll be going nuts." Adrien babbled, gesturing broadly. Normally, he always kept his composure, but his face had reddened as the reality of the situation sank in.

The blue haired boy gently grabbed Adrien's hands, "Stop. It's okay. I can deal with rabid fans. There might be a few akumatisations, but you and ladybug can handle that." He winked, "You know, it actually helped me with my writer's block. Wanna hear the song?"

~

"You know, if I'd seen you in that cover with someone else, I'd have been a little jealous. Maybe you'd even have to fight me akumatised." Luka teased, leading the blond down the corridor of the barge to his room.

Adrien blushed, "Oh, um well I don't think we'd have got that kind of cover if you weren't there."

It was funny, the blond had always come across so aloof and confident to Luka from afar, but right now the boy seemed to be a mess. He liked to think it was his own doing, but maybe that was wishful thinking. Maybe Adrien didn't actually receive that much genuine affection from people he actually knew. It would make sense, Gabriel Agreste was renowned for being a cold fish and never leaving the house.

"You know, I've been wondering" Luka gestured towards his bed, offering Adrien to sit down, "How are you keeping up with being Chat Noir and living as a civilian."

"Ah, well it's a lot of nightshifts. I've never really spoken to someone about it." The blond began. He seemed less nervous now, but still fidgeted a bit, "That and quick excuses. Oh, and lots of trips to the bathroom" He laughed and brushed a lock of blond hair to the side.

"It must be a lot of sleepless nights," He pressed. Somehow Adrien was able to be a supermodel, and still not understand how gorgeous he was, Luka thought. If he kept on looking this good, the blue haired boy would struggle to restrain himself from being too forward. "You know, you've got one of the most beautiful laughs I've ever heard. I think I'll try and get that in the second verse of the song"

"Oh, the songs about me?!" Adrien exclaimed, brows furrowed as he cocked his head. How on earth could he be so surprised? It wasn't like Luka had exactly been being subtle, "I'm flattered, but you're too kind"

"Oh please. I couldn't think of anything else. You know how the creative process is – you just have to get it out on paper." Luka sat down on a chair by his desk, grabbing his guitar. The desk was littered with compositions and idea notes, and he grabbed one from the top to put on the stand. "You wanna hear it?"

"I'd love to." Adrien beamed.
Luka leaned over the guitar, running the pick over the strings to check they were all in tune. E A D G B E. Satisfied, he began to strum, gently humming to the chords.

"Can't you see, the golden light you bring,
Don't you know, the reason I will sing,
If I could take you in my arms,
And show you all my charms,
Then maybe you would learn,
What love can do in turn,
To show you what you've never felt before.
"