Volume 1, Chapter 8

The grass and soil beneath her split asunder, breaking into huge plates as the earth seemed to erupt beneath them. As the cracks spread from the grass bank further into the tarmac, a deep rumbling was heard as the cracks widened and deepened, becoming like small ravines.

"See-" Chat coughed, laying against the wall he was thrown against. His tone jokingly a little bit petty but pointed nonetheless, "You always say I'm not careful with my cataclysm m'lady. I've never done that with my cataclysm."

"Oh, can it kitty," Ladybug grimaced, "She was only able to do this after you attacked her, you know."

"Oh well how was I supposed to know that o' great and wise Guardian."

"Look let's just focus on how to nullify whatever power she has," Ladybug offered Chat a hand, pulling him up from against the now indented concrete wall. "What've you got so far?"

"Pretty sure the akumatisee is Kagami Tsurugi, but as always can't be sure until the mask is taken off. Miraculous magic 'n all that."

Nodding, Ladybug gestures the two keep darting across the roof tops. From slung over her shoulder, Luka commented, "I think she's upset because of the Adrien billboards."

Ladybug snorted, "What, the two pretty boys going at it? Who cares? What is she, a homophobe?"

"I think she has a crush on Adrien." Chat hid his cringe as he said it. Felt narcissistic to say but, in order to protect his identity, he couldn't let it show that he had any kind of stake in it. "I thought her power was some kind of pathokinesis, sadness emanation type. Seems like she's got more going on though, super powered screams that seem to be related to her sadness and then some kind of power mimicry is my best guess."

"So, there's a possibility her actual power is mimicry, and the pathokinesis is something she's mimicked?" Ladybug quirked her brow, puzzling.

"Exactly." Chat nodded, "Her attire theme seems to be more focused on the mirror than the sadness but there's definitely tear tracks."

"True but those could have emerged from the mimicry of sadness."

"But she did say that her goal was for everyone else to feel what she feels so..." Chat gestured towards Luka, "Also, should we... I don't know... maybe put him somewhere safe rather than lugging him around with us for however long we intend to outrun the earthquake?"

"Ah," Ladybug peered around. Having spoken to her enough in private now, Chat had grown familiar with the reasons behind the odd behaviour. At least, he could deduce she was using her Ladybug vision to evaluate what she "needed", "Actually, you go on ahead, distract Desolater. Then I can... um" she paused unconvincingly, "Hide Luka."

"Right..." Chat subtly made eye contact with Luka, "Feel free to clue me in on the plan when you feel like it, Bugaboo."

Didn't exactly take a genius to realise that Ladybug was probably going to do her guardian shtick and give out a miraculous. She'd been doing it for a while now, and Luka was a standout kid anyways – he deserved it. Would be nice if she could actually trust him enough to let him stay. Or, even just tell him the truth, especially when it was so blatantly obvious what she was doing with the boy on the rooftop. Still, maintaining a working relationship with Ladybug required feigning a certain level of ignorance. God knows how she kept her secret identity so well, with tact like that.

He swung off the roof, revelling in the momentary gush of wind through the tresses of his hair. In his Chat Noir form, his hair was far more chaotic and freer than in his civilian form, and honestly, he preferred it. It wasn't exactly something he'd be permitted to wear as an "upstanding citizen" anyways, and whenever he had hair like this for a photoshoot it was always secretly gelled to high heaven. Not to mention Adrien would never be allowed to move more than a muscle anyways.