Volume 2, Chapter 2

Practically grinning ear to ear, Chat lazily extends his staff, catapulting himself off the ground in front of the Eifle Tower. As he somersaults up, he lands atop the little balcony-like outcrop, eyes meeting an expectant Ladybug looking up from her yoyo.

"You're late."

"Doesn't my purrfect landing make up for it, m'lady?" he tilts his head a little, baby doll eyes in full swing.

"This better not be another ruse for a date," she teases back. There's the usual glint of banter to her tone, tinged only by the slightest worry. For all the attention Chat had paid to her, he'd only realised more and more how closely she held her cards to her chest. It had taken so long for her to open up about even the smallest things, like school stresses. It had gotten worse after she became the Guardian of the Miraculous as well, eyes ever wearier and the corners of her mouth tighter, less willing to crack a smile unless Chat really played to her humour.

His eyes must have been lingering too long, as she clears her throat, "To business then."

He nods, "The first piece of bad news: he's unified the Peacock miraculous with the Butterfly."

"What happened to Mayura?"

"No idea."

Ladybug squints a little, tapping her index and thumb, "I wonder..."

"What?"

"Mayura always seemed... sick" Ladybug begins, "I mean she had fainting spells on the battlefield." She grows more confident, "And the Miraculous always seemed to be flickering. That Grimoire says that the wounds of a miraculous become those of its wielder - maybe Mayura can't use the miraculous anymore because she's too sick."

Chat marvels at her observational capacity. As a partner, Ladybug both inspired admiration and evoked infuriation. It was one of her strongest traits, her ability to observe and organise a plan, accordingly, filing away titbits of information to use when relevant. It was exactly what frustrated him too. As Chat, he sought to do as much good as possible, whilst finally being free from the constant oppressive organisation of Adrien's life. Her need to control every aspect of heroics, for obvious reasons, was a point of dissonance for the two friends. "So - maybe Shadow Moth will get sick too?"

"Maybe, but it's doubtful." Ladybug murmurs bitterly, "He's not exactly one to put himself in the line of fire. I mean he never comes out to face us directly. I doubt he'd use it if it weren't fixed..."

Her eyes flare, nose twitching "They stole Fu's Grimoire!"

"What?"

"Fu and I made a digital copy of the miraculous Spellbook, with translations. I have a copy of it, but I wasn't able to find his tablet after he passed the guardianship on to me."

"So - not only is he using a now fixed Peacock miraculous, but he has the spell book?"

"So now he knows how to use the miraculous more to their full potential." Ladybug finishes.

They pause for a minute, jaws clenching as they look at across the Parisian skyline. Lights glittering serenely from windows and streetlights. Chat wonders how much longer the serenity will hold.

"Well, onto the second piece of bad news."

"There's more?" Ladybug gives what would sound dangerously close to a laugh, if not for the hysterical look in her eyes.

"Yep," Chat pulls open a section of his staff, accessing the portable storage area within, before handing over a few files Doctor Le Chien had given him. "Kagami Tsurugi. The doctors evaluated her physical and mentally. Traces of blue specks in her eyes, and a high likelihood of developing severe PTSD." He turns a page overleaf, "The brains scans show signs of excess stimulation in regions associated with pain and fear." He pauses, making grim eye contact, "In other words, it's like she's been tortured."