A Dollar Fifty

Soft knocks shook the bathroom door, causing Myrtle to jump, "Sorry! it's just me

 Soft knocks shook the bathroom door, causing Myrtle to jump, "Sorry! it's just me....um I've got a box of stuff, alcohol wipes, bandaids, I dunno, cotton and shit. Might be helpful." Eddie said, looking up at the door. He waited for a response but Myrtle remained quiet.

She herself watched the door with caution, a damp wad of tissue turned a soft pink in one hand. "um...I'm just gonna leave it at the door, and I'll be....up front of you need anything." Eddie offered.

Myrtle could hear items rattle just outside, throwing the tissue into the toilet and flushing, she crept to the door. Opening it slightly, she pulled the box inside before closing the door.

Hearing the toilet flush several times, Eddie turned on his stereo fairly loud before taking a seat on the sofa. "this shit is fricking insane," he thought pressing his knuckles to his mouth. If there had been a time when he needed his Uncle to return home early it was now.  Bouncing one leg up and down nervously, Eddie sighed.

"You don't end up like that some simple nodding off and rolling off the road." Eddie thought recalling the welts on her arms and exposed across her chest where the dress look to have been ripped open. Eddie gave his head a hard shake, hoping to knock the image of little rivers of blood trickling down the girl's legs, and the discoloration that was forming.

Hearing the door open, Eddie glanced up, "you ok?" He asked cautiously.

Myrtle stood in the hall before the bathroom door, she didn't know how to answer as he watched her as if she would collapse at any given moment. Chewing her lip Myrtle side glanced, a box of medical aid in hand. "um...I-I'm ok." she said quietly, 

Pushing off the sofa Eddie headed towards her and Myrtle was quick to take a few steps back. 

With a tilt of his head Eddie look down at her trembling arms. "ok,  you ok" He said softly, holding a hand out in front of himself as if calming a frightened stray. "I'm just gonna get the box." He said, taking timid timed steps towards Myrtle. "You look like you really went through it, would you like some water before I take you to that payphone?" He asked.

Myrtle watched Eddie's Chameleon-like steps and relaxed slightly, under different circumstances she might have laughed, but rather all she could think was, "I must look a terrified mess" and her mind answered, "you are."

"or you can use the phone here to call-"

"No!" Myrtle said quickly. Eddie held his hands up and stopped walking.  his tongue stuck out from his lips a bit as he side glanced, "that isn't good is it?" He thought. "Ok, we'll go to the payphone" he reassured, slowly taking the box from Myrtle's hands. 

As his fingertips lightly grazed over her own, Myrtle felt the first bit of warmth she'd felt all night, for a fleeting second. "I'm going to put this back," Eddie said, he waited for an answer and received a small nod before heading back into the kitchen.  "so water?" He asked reaching up towards the cabinet containing glasses.