The Secret Storm

Myrtle gave a satisfied nod as she walked around the old boarding house, "what a difference a day makes

Myrtle gave a satisfied nod as she walked around the old boarding house, "what a difference a day makes." she said to herself standing in the middle of the hall on the ground floor. Out from the only room there on smoke plumed out from under the crack in the door.

Myrtle shook her head, at the very least the broken window near the front of the place served for ventilating Rick's very fragrant habit. But he wasn't alone.

Eddie stood at the front door leaning against the frame and gazing outside. Stealing a few puffs from a self-rolled cigarette he exhaled a plume of smoke into the outside world. "nerves bad?" Myrtle asked, leaning her shoulder against the wall near the door.

"Hm?" Eddie hummed, he looked over his shoulder and upon seeing her smiled, "Nah, not at all." He said. Eddie pointed up to the staircase leading to the second floor. "It's kind of impressive how Mick and Funshine managed to get everything in this place running again." he said, Eddie let out a chuckle, "Now how long it will stay running is a different story." 

Myrtle looked around, they had power and running water. Mick said it was safer not to bother with the gas and the group as a whole had to agree. Though Myrtle would have given her second left arm for a hot shower.

"It's hotter than hell in here though." Eddie complained, "Axel's going to take Funshine and go knab an A/C unit eventually," Myrtle said. "Kali's crew has been held up with investigations into the locations of two Lab hands. They think they're hiding out in Chicago proper," she said.

Eddie cast Myrtle a worried glance, "are you going when they track them down?" He asked, "Kali says it will be good practice for me." she said. Eddie released another stream of smoke, "even if you aren't ready?" He asked.

"That's what the others are for. Apparently, they've been at this for a long time." Myrtle said. Still, Eddie seemed less than satisfied as he turned and looked out the door. 

Myrtle tilted her head, "what about you? shouldn't you learn....something? It's not safe, you should be able to defend yourself too." Myrtle said. Eddie chuckled, "That's why I have a ring on each finger." He said in a sly murmur, turning his gaze to her.

"Eddie..." Myrtle lulled in a stern sigh, "You can't swing a fist at some guy toting a freakish gun that shoots...zappy things. I don't care how many rings you've got on." she said with a long frown. Eddie stayed quiet and took several more puffs from his cigarette.

"I knew it." Myrtle thought, "his nerves are bad."

She sighed, "Axel is a pretty good shot, maybe he can teach you how to fire a gu-"

"I know how, already." Eddie sighed, looking her way. He shrugged and kicked at the strand of loose rubber door seal with his foot. "so what's wrong?" Myrtle asked.

"You've got a terrible old man right?" Eddie asked. Myrtle side glanced, "um...." she hummed, she wanted to say no, she wanted to spin the same lie of 'he's just strict'  but she was finding it increasingly hard to lie to him.