chapter 12

That was the question Zenitsu never wanted to answer someone. Especially his childhood best friend.

The boy was confused. Why would M/n ever forget him? But more importantly how?

All these questions were going around in his mind.

"Zenitsu?" M/n brought him back to reality as he spoke up again and touched the others shoulder.

"A-ah sorry" He quickly apologized since he didn't know what else to say or do.

"I would appreciate it a lot if you answered me. I need answers, Zenitsu. Please" The [hair color] male was almost begging the other for answers.

"Why can't you remember anymore?" Zenitsu was curious. He needed to know why. So he asked. Though he doubted M/n knew the answer himself.

"That's the problem, I don't know. It feels like a part of my memory just got.. erased." M/n looked up to the sky and admired it.

Zenitsu crossed his arms and looked at the ground. His expression showed nothing but sadness.

"I'll tell you everything you want to know. Maybe you remember again." Zenitsu finally said.

M/n's eyes lit up. Maybe this conversation could finally answer his question and even bring back the missing parts of his memory.

M/n looked at Zenitsu and waited for him to talk.

"W-well.. you and I were childhood friends. The last time I saw you was 6 years ago. Then you just went missing. I had no idea where you were nor if you're okay. For the longest time I thought you hated me and that's why you left me" As Zenitsu was speaking, his eyes started forming tears.

Before they could run over his cheeks, he already wiped them away.

"The first time I saw you was when I sat alone next to a tree. You asked why I was alone and if I wanted to be your friend. I was so happy someone asked me to be their friend. You also never got annoyed with me when I started crying. You just tried cheering me up."

Something inside M/n hurt as he saw the boy next to him cry even more.

"Zenitsu I.." The words didn't form in M/n's mouth.

Zenitsu kept on wiping the tears away but no use. New tears kept on flowing down his cheek.

"Why can't you just remember? I miss you" He said now completely breaking down.

M/n didn't even hesitate. He hugged Zenitsu hoping this would make him feel better.

He tried not hurting him since he still didn't completely recover from the previous fight.

"Zenitsu I am so sorry. I really don't know why all of this is happening. I promise you everything will be okay one day. I promise you I'll remember you and everything we did together again." He patted Zenitsu's head, that always helped him calm down as a child so he tried that with Zenitsu.

Zenitsu hesitantly hugged M/n back, burying his face in the chest of the other.

After a while the two separated again.

"I do hope I am not disturbing anything here but I need to take Zenitsu back" Someone behind them said.

Both of them quickly stood up.

M/n slightly coughed.

"Uh Kocho-san, what are you doing here?" He asked, with a small blush on his face.

"Ara~ is someone blushing?" She immediately teased him as she saw his blushing face.

"Well. I have something to do so I need to take my leave. You can have Zenitsu now." M/n turned his face to the side and gave Zenitsu a small smile and successfully dodged Shinobu's question.

"Well then, goodbye L/n-san."

"Goodbye Kocho-san, Zenitsu" He waved before walking away from the two other demon slayers.

"Come back in now, Zenitsu. You need to take your medicine" She touched his shoulder and smiled at him.

"WHAT? BUT I ALREADY TOOK MY MEDICINE?" Zenitsu started yelling.

"Oh? You did?" She put her index finger on her chin and thought for a moment.

"Well then. You still need to come back in. Tanjiro and Inosuke are waiting for you and Aoi is soon done cooking." Shinobu said.

With that Zenitsu and Shinobu went back in.

Shinobu disappeared into her room meanwhile Zenitsu went into his shared room with his friends.

"Oh you're back Zenitsu!" Tanjiro welcomed the boy as soon as he opened the door.

"What did L/n-san want to talk about?" He curiously asked.

"Uhm.. nothing important" Zenitsu mumbled.

"Are you sure? You don't really look okay. Is everything fine?"

"Can we please not talk about it, Tanjiro?" Zenitsu asked his friend.

"If that's what you want. But just so you know, I will always be here for you." He smiled at him.

Zenitsu was glad to have such a good friend.

"Is Inosuke okay?" Zenitsu asked as he took a glance at the boy.

"Well.. he's been kind of grumpy and in a bad mood since we got here. But I can't blame him. His fight was pretty tough and he got hurt badly."

Zenitsu kept on listening as Tanjiro talked about Inosuke's well being and his previous fight on the mountain.

As the boy boys kept on talking, someone opened the door.

"Dinner is ready." Aoi said as soon as she opened the door.

"I ate too much" Zenitsu whined after he finished all of his food. He wasn't thinking about how much he ate so he ended up eating much more than he even could.

"I did warn you Zenitsu" Tanjiro sighed as he listened to Zenitsu's complaints.

"It's getting late I think she should sleep soon." Tanjiro said after he looked out the window.

"Oh. You're right. Goodnight Tanjiro and you too Inosuke." Zenitsu said and walked towards his bed to lay down.

"Goodnight to you too" Tanjiro gave them both a smile before heading off to his bed aswell.

Inosuke just hummed and didn't say a word.

Soon two of the boys fell asleep.

One of them had so much going on in his mind that he was unable to close his eyes.

I really should stop thinking about M/n so much The blonde boy thought as he stared at the roof.

After what felt like hours, he finally fell asleep. Though his sleep wouldn't last long. Soon he woke up once again.

                     ┌──── ʚ 💭 ɞ

I really can't write angst even if my life depended on it. Gurl this is so cringe gosh- 💀

Welp.. atleast I am updating more...? Also, expect more chapters now that summer break is right around the corner lol

So this is quite embarrassing but I literally forgot the plot of this story after all the breaks I took from writing. So uhm.. maybe I end up changing a lot again? Idk-