Chapter 7

Virgil slowly wakes up. He doesn't feel any pain in his leg so he thinks everything that happened was just a nightmare. He opens his eyes and finds himself in an unfamiliar place. He quickly sits up in a panic. He looks around but doesn't recognize anything. Just then the door opens. 

"Patton," he breathes out with relief. 

"Virgil! You're awake," Patton says as he rushes over despite the hot tea in his hands. Patton sets it aside and then starts fussing over Virgil. 

"Oh kiddo. You scared us half to death. What happened? Tara said you and Roman were just going on a walk," Patton says. 

"Wait? That happened? But my leg?" Virgil says confused. 

"Oh. Dr. Strohm healed you," Patton explains. 

"That means Roman really left. He came back didn't he? He escaped the guards? Where is he?" Virgil asks in a panic. 

"Virgil," Patton starts off softly, "Roman was caught by the guards. They've taken him."

"No..." Virgil says as tears well up in his eyes. "He told me he'd just lead them away. He was supposed to come back. He was supposed to get away. Why didn't he get away...?" he asks. The tears start to fall as he breaks down. 

"I'm so sorry kiddo," Patton says as he moves to sit next to him and wraps him in a hug. Virgil sobs against his friend. He stays like that for a while but eventually starts to calm down. 

"The others will be here soon. Then you can tell us what happened," Patton says softly. Virgil nods. 

"Here. Drink this," Patton adds while handing Virgil the tea. Again Virgil simply nods. Patton watches him drink the tea slowly before getting up and leaving the room. He comes back a minute later with Dr. Strohm. 

"Hi Virgil. I'm just going to check you over to make sure everything's good. Is that okay?" she asks in a kind tone. Virgil nods so she gets to work checking his vitals.

"Everything looks good. Lastly I just want to make sure I fully healed up your leg. Can you walk over to Patton?" she asks him. Without saying a word he stands up and walks over to Patton. "And back please?" she asks. He follows her instructions. "Alright. You're good to go," she tells him. He doesn't nod or say anything. He just sits down. 

"Thank you," Patton says for him. She nods. 

"Do you know when your friends will be here? My contact is just waiting for me to let them know that you're all here," she says to Patton. 

"They should be here soon," Patton tells her. She nods and leaves the room. Patton sits next to Virgil again and rubs his back in a comforting way.

About 10 minutes pass by before Logan, Janus, Remus and Tara arrive. "They're here," Dr. Strohm says from the doorway. 

"Come on kiddo," Patton says to Virgil who's been staring off into space. He heard Patton though because he stands up and follows him. 

"Virgil!" they all exclaim. 

"How are you doing man?" Janus asks. Virgil doesn't answer. 

"Virgil?" Logan asks. Still no response. 

"Virgil, are you okay?" Remus asks. That seems to get his attention because he looks up at Remus. 

"How could you ask me that? This is all my fault. It never would've happened if I had used Vocal on the guards like he asked me to. Roman would be here if it wasn't for me!" Virgil says loudly. 

"Virgil. None of us blame you," Tara says. "Well you should! It's my fault!" he responds.

"Virgil. Listen to me. We don't blame you for not using Vocal on those guards. Neither would my brother. Especially knowing what happened to your parents. This is not your fault and we're going to get him back," Remus tells him.