Chapter 23

"Come on Roman. You gotta do something," Remus says to his brother. Roman is sitting in the kitchen with his chin resting on his arms. He's staring at the table. He gets like this sometimes when he's really missing Virgil. 

"Like what?" Roman asks. 

"Something. You can't just mope here all day," Janus says. 

"Watch me," Roman responds. 

"Roman," Patton says. 

"What?" Roman responds. 

"Come with me," Patton says. Roman finally looks up at Patton. 

"Where?" he asks. 

"I'm going shopping with Edith. You're coming with me," Patton says with a smile. Roman stares at him for a moment. Then he sighs. 

"Fine," he says and finally stands up. 

"When you get back I'll text and see if Virgil is free," Logan says. 

"Thanks Logan," Roman says with a small smile.

Logan nods. 

"Go on, Mr. Mopey," Tara says. 

"Don't call me that," Roman says with a scrunched up face. 

"Don't act like it," Tara responds with a smirk. Roman rolls his eyes and follows Patton. The two of them head to the sleeping quarters to grab their jackets. They then leave the bunker and head upstairs. 

"You ready?" Edith asks. 

"Yeah. Roman's coming with," Patton says. 

"The more the merrier," Edith says with a smile. They head out to Edith's car and climb in. Edith of course drives while Patton sits in the passenger seat. Roman hops in the back. They drive to the nearest food market. 

"Is the list a big one?" Patton asks Edith. 

"Kind of. It's mostly the few things I forgot last time and the things you recruits added to the board," she says.

They reach the market and Edith parks. They all climb out and grab Edith's reusable grocery bags. They make their way over to it and head inside. 

"Roman sweetie. Grab a cart," Edith says. He does as she said to. 

"This place is almost as big as the outdoor market we used to go to," Roman says to Patton. 

"I had the same reaction when I first saw it," Patton says in return. 

"First things first. Canned goods," Edith says. They walk to the canned food aisle. Roman helps put the heavy things in the cart while Patton and Edith tell him what to grab. He doesn't mind. It gives him something to do other than missing Virgil.

They walk through the store grabbing what they need. They're there for about half an hour. 

Finally Edith tells them that's everything. They head up to the front to pay. Roman helps put the stuff on the belt when he happens to look to his left. 

"Oh shit," he says and quickly turns around. 

"What's wrong, Roman?" Patton asks. Edith looks at him too. 

"Is that guy in the red shirt still in the other checkout? He's like the fourth in line," Roman asks. Patton looks over. 

"Yeah. Who is he?" he asks. "He was my trainer from the Lamend facility," Roman says just loud enough his two companions can hear.

Edith's eyes go wide. She quickly reaches into her purse and pulls out her car keys. 

"Go to the car and wait for us. We can't risk him seeing and recognizing you," she says. Roman nods, grabbing the keys. He walks past them and leaves the store. He heads straight to the car and unlocks it.