Chapter 14

"Damn it!" Randy exclaims when Roman once again beats him in checkers. 

"Wanna play again?" Roman asks with a grin. 

"Hell no," Randy says with a scoff. 

"Come on. Not like we have anything better to do until breakfast," Roman tells him. Randy sighs. 

"Fine," he mutters. Roman resets the board and they start to play again. Five minutes pass when the guards walk in. 

"Line up," the first one says. 

"Finally!" Randy says as he stands up. Roman chuckles but stands as well. They all line up and then are led to the cafeteria. 

"Yes! Danishes," Justin says with excitement. It had been awhile since they had them last. They all get their food before sitting where they usually sat. 

"I could live off these for the rest of my life," Justin says as he takes a bite of his jam filled Danish. 

"Yeah and you'd probably die from all the sugar," Sarah says. Julia smiles proudly as she is the main cause for Sarah's sarcastic remarks.

After breakfast they all head to training. 

"16 and 20. I want you two to spar using your abilities," Drake says. Randy and Sarah nod before going off to one of the sparring mats. 

"17, I want you to practice making that elliptical invisible," Drake continues. Justin groans but walks over to it. 

"18 and 19. I want you two to spar using your abilities as well. 19, use the practice weapons. I don't want you to kill her," Drake finishes saying. Roman nods and walks over to grab the practice bo staff. It's his second favorite weapon behind his sword. Julia readies herself for a fight. Once Roman has his bo staff he walks over and stands a couple feet away from his opponent. 

"Ready? Start," Roman says. Julia immediately shoots multiple ice blasts at him. He blocks each one using his bo staff. They shatter when they hit his weapon.

Julia continues firing her ice blasts, trying to keep Roman at a distance. But Roman slowly advances towards her. He dodges another blast before running up and beginning to attack. She dodges his first few attacks and just barely manages to form a weapon using her ice. She creates the same type of weapon as Roman. A bo staff. Their weapons clash again and again. Roman however has more experience fighting with weapons. Especially the bo staff so he steadily begins to gain the upper hand. He's fast too. 

After another minute of dodging and blocking, Julia's weapon breaks and Roman lands a hit. He makes sure to hold back as he hits her so that she doesn't get hurt. 

"Again," Drake says to them after a moment. They sigh but do as they're told. Roman morphs his bo staff into a sword.

They continue sparring until lunch. Roman used Morph so he had a different weapon each match.

"What's your guys' scores?" Justin asks. 

"The score for today is Roman 7 wins and I have 5 wins," Julia says. 

"I'm at 4 wins while Randy has 8 wins," Sarah says. 

"You're getting better," Randy tells her. 

"Well I think you all did great. I'm just glad the only sparring I have to do is after lunch," Justin says. 

"That's just because your ability would be kind of unfair in a real fight. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't use your ability, Do whatever it takes to stay alive. That's what I think," Roman says. 

"I hear you but I think I'd always choose flight over fight unless I didn't have a choice," Justin responds. They enter the cafeteria and get their food. Then they all take a seat and eat up.