Chapter 12

Four months. Roman has been stuck here for four months. He's currently writing in his notebook ideas for escaping. Now he's not stupid. Despite the fact that as long as he's been here there haven't been any type of searches he doesn't want to risk getting caught. So he and Sarah came up with a code to write with when talking about escape ideas. It took them almost two months to finalize their code. It's crude but it works. 

He has two notebooks. One he hides under his bed mat and the other he hides under his pillow. The one under his pillow is just him writing about his daily life and how he misses the others. He only keeps it to pass time. The second one though is his planning notebook. 

No one but Sarah knows he has two notebooks because he had Sarah get the second one from the commissary. She also keeps a notebook but hers is mostly her writing letters to her mom that she one day hopes to give her. She does have a few pages with escape ideas though.

"Roman. Breakfast," Justin says from his doorway. 

"Coming," he responds and waits until Justin leaves. He then puts it back in its hiding spot. Before leaving his room he puts his comb under his bed in a way that it will fall if the mattress is moved. It's hidden the best he can. He does this so he knows if someone searches his room. 

Of course even if they found the notebook they wouldn't understand any of it thanks to his code. Still, he'd rather be safe than sorry. His best bet of escaping is if he's in the A-wing. That's a given. That's why he stays on his best behavior and follows the rules. Not because he wants to but because he has to if he doesn't want to be moved. He's told Sarah the same thing. He wants to make sure that they stay together so they can escape together. He stands up and leaves his room. He gets in line with Justin, Julia, Randy and Sarah.

"Hey Roman. I've been wanting to ask. What do you write about in your notebook?" Justin asks as they sit down with their food. 

"Just about my day. It keeps me sane to be honest. Sometimes I write notes to my brother and friends. Not that I think they'll ever receive them," Roman responds just as he practiced. 

"Oh. I use mine to draw in," Justin responds. 

"I would write notes to my friends and family if I had any outside of this place," he adds. Roman nods as he takes a bite of food since he doesn't know what to say to that. 

"Enough about notebooks. Where do you think they sent Carlos?" Julia asks, changing the subject. 

"Who knows? He could be anywhere in the world by now," Kaman says. Carlos was 27 years old, of average height with brown eyes and a sienna skin tone. His ability was called Shout. He could generate incredibly strong hypersonic sound blasts using his voice. He had been here for longer than anyone else. Two days ago his name was called and they told him he was being shipped out. He left yesterday.

"I'm still surprised they finally shipped him out. He's been here for ten years. I mean why now? It's weird," Randy says. 

"Ten?" Roman asks. He nods. 

"Damn," Roman mutters. 

"It's crazy right? Seriously, why now?" Julia asks. 

"I don't know but it seems fishy to me," Justin says. 

"What do you mean?" Roman asks. 

"I mean what if they didn't ship him out? What if they sent him for experiments?" Justin responds. Sarah looks up with fear. 

"Hey! Stop trying to scare them. They stopped experimentation years ago if they ever did them at all," Julia says. 

"Yeah. Suppose you're right. Sorry for scaring you Sarah," Justin apologizes.