Chapter 13

I do not own Vampire Diaries

Anastasia awoke with a start, her body drenched in sweat, her heart hammering in her chest.  The eerie remnants of a chilling nightmare clung to her consciousness, leaving her shaken and disoriented. What the hell had she just seen?

As her racing heart gradually steadied, she couldn't help but replay the scenes in her head, dissecting the details. The man and the woman, the ominous fog enveloping the tent, the lighthearted exchange of words,  the inexplicable dripping noise and then the woman's scream of terror– every minute detail seemed to have etched themselves into her memory with unsettling clarity.

Nightmares were nothing new to her, but this one felt different, like an unwelcome intrusion into her mind. Instead of James, who often played a central role in her nightmares, she had instead had a completely random nightmare based on people she'd never even met before.

With a deliberate shake of her head, Anastasia tried to dispel the lingering unease and confusion, casting her gaze next to her where Lilliana was sleeping peacefully, the sight of her innocent form calming her down considerably.

Today was Lilliana's first day at preschool, and fortunately, her father had agreed to take her. He could conveniently work from home, giving him the flexibility to accompany her so the two of the didn't have to waste unnecessary money on a taxi. Anastasia had once had a car but James had made her sell it because he needed the money for something and she knew better than to refuse him.

The memory tugged at her heart. Her car had been a gift from her father on her 17th birthday – an unexpected gesture considering he had never even said 'happy birthday' let alone buy her a gift since her brother's passing. Back then, it had held a special place in her heart, a token of her father's affection and a symbol of newfound independence. She cherished it not only for the freedom it represented but for the sentiment it carried, a brief moment of connection between her and her father. It hadn't lasted long of course but she supposed she could understand, her birthday didn't exactly hold a special place in her own heart either, her brother and her having shared the same birthday, twins as they'd been.

Anastasia's thoughts drifted to the days when he'd still been alive. She could vividly recall the laughter, the shared secrets, and the bond they'd shared. His absence left a void that was impossible to fill, casting a shadow over every subsequent birthday. It was as if the day had lost its meaning, much like her father's emotional presence in her life.

With a sigh, she let the memories linger for a moment longer feeling a mix of warmth and melancholy before gently pushing it aside. She did not want to dwell on the past, not today. Shaking off the weight of those thoughts, she glanced at the clock and suddenly realised the time.Hastily, she rose from the bed and hurried to the bathroom. After taking care of her morning routine, she washed her hands and splashed her face, the cool water offering a momentary wake-up call.

As she reached for a towel to dry her face, a sudden movement in the mirror's reflection caught her eye and she froze for there, standing behind her in the reflection, was a man.