Chapter 27

I do not own Vampire Diaries

Elena walked to where Stefan was after telling Anastasia what happened, "I'm sorry. I take it all back. You're completely right about Damon."

"What did he do?" Stefan asked concerned.

"There are bruises all over Caroline's body. Bite marks, and he has her all confused and messed up in the head. You don't look surprised." Elena said realising that Stefan's face had not changed at all, he had no reaction to her words, as if he already knew.

"Um...I'm handling it." Stefan said knowing that his excuse was pretty lame considering what Elena had just saw.

"Handling it? Stefan, you should be having him arrested." Elena said shocked that he had actually not informed anyone of this, for how long had this been going on?

"Elena, please. I...I don't expect you to understand." Stefan said not knowing what to say to calm her down, there wasn't really anything that would sound even remotely comforting considering he was the brother of the man who had, in her eyes, abused one of her best friends.

"I don't understand anything, Stefan. So why don't you just clear it up for me?" Elena snapped irritated with another one of his many vague answers.

"Look, there are things that you don't know, okay? Things that I want to tell you, but I can't. And I may never be able to. And I just need you to trust me." Stefan tried to placate her.

"Trust is earned. I can't just magically hand it over." Elena said just as Stefan's eyes turned towards Anastasia running outside the house, she stopped at the sight of him and it was then that he noticed the tears trailing down her face.

"What's wrong Ana? What happened?" Stefan said moving towards her concerned.

"He...he..." Anastasia stuttered not even able to get the words out, she couldn't believe she had trusted him even for a second, she had promised not to let her guard down in front of a man to give them the key to hurt her again and yet she had done exactly that, she had knocked down her walls and began to trust Damon, she truly had begun to think of him as a friend, it was why she had clarified before if he had healed Caroline because the person he was with her now was completely different than the person she had met before, not a monster, not like him.

But she had been wrong, just like she was before. It was then suddenly her knees buckled underneath her at the vision that hit her mind with the strength of a sledgehammer, she screamed slightly at the pain holding her head in her hands before she suddenly saw a dark field where Caroline was lying on the floor blood dripping down her neck, she looked like she was dead, she gasped for breath when the vision faded away and she was staring into Stefan's concerned eyes.

"What the hell was that?" Death asked coming out of nowhere right next to his sister, he had just finished collecting the souls of those who had died due to the mass destruction of an atom bomb, it had taken ages to sort those fussy creatures called humans with all their whines, screams and tears and then he had focused back on Anastasia only to hear her scream out in pain.

"What the hell was what?" Life asked innocently.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about Sister." Death said annoyed.

"Do I?" Life asked with a mock thinking expression on her face.

"Adrianna just answer the damned question!" Death shouted out losing his patience.

"Ooh, we're using our names now, you must really be impatient." Life said mockingly.

"Just tell me." Death said sighing in exasperation.